Rating - 100%
4   0   0
So I am going to try something a little different with my new tank. I plan on having 1 large island in the center with softies, LPS and some SPS, but I will also have 1 smaller island on the right side of the tank with two 3-4" RBTA's that will split and I will keep 3 or 4 and sell the clones. On the left side of the tank I plan on having a small circle of LR rubble with sand in the center to make a DSB so that my LTA can plant its foot in the sand. In the tank, I plan to have 4 ocellaris clowns in 1 school. I plan on doing this by getting 4 siblings at a very young age (right as they start to eat frozen foods) and putting them all in a 10 gallon until there becomes a dominant female and they are schooled up and then I will add them to the 90 gallon as the first 4 fish and hopefully they will host an anemone. After that I will start to add corals and fish. I plan on having the 4 clowns, 2 firefish, 1 sixline wrasse, and 1 male bartletts anthias.
Does anyone here breed ocellaris clowns? I need a supplier and I would rather have one where I could come pick up the clowns rather than have 4 baby clowns shipped overnight to my house.

E.intheC

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
150   0   0
I would really only have 2 clowns in this tank. It's not quite large enough to have more than one pair long term.

They definitely won't school together. Good luck with your setup though. It sounds interesting otherwise.

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I would really only have 2 clowns in this tank. It's not quite large enough to have more than one pair long term.

They definitely won't school together. Good luck with your setup though. It sounds interesting otherwise.
Yea it is highly experimental right now and I have my 29 biocube to put the other pair in if this doesn't work as planned. Should have mentioned that.

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
not true, i have 6 in my 80g tank along with 10 nem's. dont count on because you have separate rock structure's that they wont wander and end up on the other island. reason i got rid of my sps. i would suggest reading through this link on RC and looking at some of the systems and tanks on there

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=36
I know there is a chance of them moving but I am making the island they are on as perfect as possible in order to prevent them from moving as well as getting captive bred anemones and feeding often to prevent them from moving.

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
feeding doesnt keep them from moving here is a link to my tank focused on clowns and nems

http://www.manhattanreefs.com/forum/tank-threads/62814-73-gallon-set-up-7-17-09-a.html
There was actually a study a few years ago showing that keeping the anemones well fed and making sure to feed all the anemones at the same time will lower the chance of RBTA's moving. I read through that thread and wow what an awesome tank! I might change my plan a little now though... He says that anything under 7 could be dangerous so now what I am thinking is to get 8 clowns with no other fish in the tank except maybe a sixline wrasse with 3 or 4 RBTA's. My sump is 55 gallons so it will be a 90 gallon system with wet skimming and a large refugium, so I think 8 smaller species clowns will be fine.

NYreefNoob

Skimmer Freak
Rating - 100%
166   0   0
one thing i have learnt in this hobby over the past few year's, nothing is a guarentee, my gbta that hasnt moved for 8 months off the rock it was origanally on, and didnt move when i switched it to my other tank finally moved after being in this system 4 months. i usually feed mine a silverside apiece every two weeks

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
one thing i have learnt in this hobby over the past few year's, nothing is a guarentee, my gbta that hasnt moved for 8 months off the rock it was origanally on, and didnt move when i switched it to my other tank finally moved after being in this system 4 months. i usually feed mine a silverside apiece every two weeks
How are your anemones with corals? I heard that BTA's do not have very strong stings, do they bother your corals at all? Also have you had any problems with anemones going into your powerheads?

SevTT

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
How are your anemones with corals? I heard that BTA's do not have very strong stings, do they bother your corals at all? Also have you had any problems with anemones going into your powerheads?

BTAs don't have strong stings, for an anemone, but they'll definitely sting the crap out of practically anything you put in reach. However, BTAs also like having their foot in a nice deep cavity; if your anemone settles into one of these it seems like they're very unlikely to move if the conditions in that spot are tolerable. Unless they split or something, then all bets are off.

Wes

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Yeah the problem I had was when they split, the clone usually takes a walk and finds a spot of it's own. I really like BTAs, but If I ever get another one it will be an anemone only tank w/out corals.

Sent from my iPhone using Reefs

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: