Minh Nguyen

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a few new clams. Here are pictures of the three new ones from Clamsdirect.com. All in all, I am very happy with the purchase. They are 2+ inches each and lighten my pocket quite a bit.

Three clams together in quarantine. I will keep them here until I am sure that they are healthy and growing before adding to my display tank.
3newclams20090904.jpg

close up of each
BWMax20090904.jpg

PinkMax20090904.jpg

BlueMax20090904.jpg

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice purchases! I love those black maximas (is it a Maxima? I'm no expert when it come to IDs) and that middle one is a lovely shade of violet. Hopefully it will keep that coloration and not become bluer as time goes on.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good Lord, Barry sure does get some nice tridacnids. Great specimens, Minh, they're going to be absolutely stunning in the display. And the thing is, I know the photos probably aren't quite doing them justice, I've seen his clams and they're like jewels.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the lamp has enough push, don't see why not. I'd go with a 400W rig. :D

WRASSER

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
oops i shoulve said, i have 3 150watt MH. and 4 50/50 96 watt PC. 460/420 nm. My girlfriend love the clams and i am pondering weather we can put them in or not.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just don't put the clam at the bottom of the tank, then. :)

Len

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice, Minh. I haven't seen nice clams in a while. I'll give clamsdirect a look.

Ben1

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have gotten lots of clams from Barry and they are always nice. I did get some aiptasia from my last clamsdirect order but hey, I should have QT'd them.
Barry always takes care of you and has then best pricing and selection of clams IME>

Minh Nguyen

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with Ben. Barry got nice clams and good price.
I also agree regarding the need for quarantine new clams, especially if we have nice clams in the display tank.
I did have two tiny aptasia with these three clam. A tooth pick treatment and they are history.
Minh

Minh Nguyen

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WRASSER":28zvcirj said:
can those clams go on the bottom of a 30'' tank with MH?
30 inches is kinda deep for 150 W. In that deep of a tank, I go with 400 W. Under 150 W, IMHO, they (Maxima and Crocea) should not be more than 12 inches from the water surface.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ben":1ztpl2ou said:
I have gotten lots of clams from Barry and they are always nice. I did get some aiptasia from my last clamsdirect order but hey, I should have QT'd them.
Barry always takes care of you and has then best pricing and selection of clams IME>
I think if you mentioned it he'll do what he can to make it right. He might want to know, at the very least.

Minh Nguyen

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anything can have aptasia on them. If you see them and remove them within a day or two, there would be no problem. Barry remove those that he see, especially the larger ones. However, tiny aptasia on the clam shell is, IMO, not his resposibility. He ave to quarantine and check hundreads of clams. Tiny aptasia may, will, be miss sometime. We have only a few clams to worry about and all days to look at them. We can't blame the seller for this problem.

Ben1

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think if you mentioned it he'll do what he can to make it right. He might want to know, at the very least.

The order was over a year ago now, might be a tad bit late to complain lol. FWIW they eventually grew majanos and aiptasia, but when I received them they must have been tiny. This my first time getting a pest from Barry and I know he cleans off what he see's. But yeah letting him know just for his own sake probably would have been good. He used to post here I think his handle was Toptank. Anyhow love the clams!

Minh Nguyen

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ben,
Do you have pictures of them? I love to see pictures of clams belongs to reefers frequent reefs.org. I think we should start a thread on this.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: