MIKE NY

Two Decade Club
Rating - 100%
204   0   0
I was always loved large Angels and was very hesitate to put a large Angel in my reef, but after meeting and hearing John Coppolino (copps) a few years ago I decided to try. Since I have relatively good success in keeping an Indo Regal and an Emperor in that they were hit or miss with Zoas, softies and LPS so I was still able to keep colonies of those and they never touched Euphyilla and SPS. I currently have a Majestic and a Blueface going through the QT and acclimation process. I wanted them in adult coloration, but small so both are approx 3.5-4". I will keep them well fed and slowly introduce them to corals in the the acclimation process so hopefully I can see which corals are at risk. If their eating habits are like my previous Angels I can live with that. Keeping my SPS and Euphyillla colonies are my main concern... wish me luck..

MIKE NY

Two Decade Club
Rating - 100%
204   0   0
Thanks guys and will do. The Majestic is in my fuge fully acclimated to the DT water chemistry and eating well. The Blueface just went through the first treatment of Prazi and started eating as well. I sometimes hit newbies with Cupramine I have heard and read the Angels don't respond well with it, although I have used it with larger ones I'm hesitate to use it on smaller ones. The Majestic is doing fine without that treatment.

salpet

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
31   0   0
hey mike my favorite fish has always been a majestic angel but having a reef tank i was always skeptical on getting one but a year and half ago i went to max reef and i bought a small one he was about 2 inches long, everything went smooth untill about 4 months ago when he started to eat my pumping zenia i thought to myself small price to pay to keep a beautiful fish but then he started eating my toadstull and my zoas and i could swear that there were pieces missing from a capricornis, well my zenia is starting to grow back and he has not touched anything for about a month i think its strange but maybe he just lost appetite for soft corals but if he goes near my acros hes a gonner

BioMan

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
57   0   0
I have an Empreor Angel (baby) for 2 months now and he hasnt bothered any of my corals even on days I skip mysis and only let them munch the disc algae. I got some "soak" for pellets that has sponges in it. I think they like that the best and if they have nipped at corals find the sponge to be a lot tastier.

MIKE NY

Two Decade Club
Rating - 100%
204   0   0
Update.....Both went through Prazi treatments, but no copper and were placed in my fuge where they acclimated to the DT water chemistry and prepared foods..... Also where there is plenty of macros and rocks to graze. Each was given their own rock work cave on either end of the tank which eased tension between the two. The second phase was to put In frags of corals which to my surprise they totally ignored. The third phase was to catch my PBT and Fiji devil which would terrorize them if placed in the DT even with the use of an acclimation box. They were placed in the DT yesterday morning and were actively grazing the inner rock work for sponges etc...and any food that floated by.

MIKE NY

Two Decade Club
Rating - 100%
204   0   0
So far so good sort of... Not a single polyp has been touched and for the first few days both were seclusive in the rockwork picking and taking some foods. The Majestic is now out and aggressively eating, but the Blueface isn't doing as good. It stopped eating two days ago and still remained in the rocks not doing well. Although it still nice and full bodied with no outward signs of infections etc.. It was swimming iradically in a weaken state. I was able to capture it and place it back in the QT.
It didn't make it through the night...very frustrating that after a few weeks it looked like it was acclimenting well and then just stops eating.

Last edited:

Z06-Hec

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I have an adult angel and an adult blue face in my tank.
They leave my hammers, frogs, torch, elegance, mushrooms, bubble tips and my carpet em alone.... I also have a green lobo they have no interest in but i did have a red lobo they destroyed, also my acan frags were toast as well. I just added some big Nepthea trees and a fee purple and some green stylo and 2 big fungia plate and 2 small baby fungia plates. So far so good with the new additions. The other stuff have been with them for over a year and they are good.
I feed the tank, mysis, nori sheets, marine mega mix, and formula one and two pellets.
Out of the 2 angels the Majestic is much more behaved than the blue face. Majestic i have had for over 2 years. I used to have 5-7 inch clams as well, multiple, and they left them alone completely. I put up a camera and witnessed my Powder blue tang going in on everything, Clams, Goniopora everything.... She killed clams and goni and she went bye bye.

MIKE NY

Two Decade Club
Rating - 100%
204   0   0
Update..... The Majestic is doing well and still hasn't bothered any corals since I removed the candies. Now I'm attempting "with caution" butterflies. I already have a pyramid in the DT which is totally reef safe and currently have a Burgess(C.burgessi), Spotbanded(C. Punctatofasciatus), Lemon(C. Milliaris), Kleins(C. Kleinii) and a Pakastani(C. collare). All are currently going through QT or acclimation process. I know there will be some nipping, but I hope my heavy feelings will keep that to a minimum. The Pakastani is the one I really have to watch because they are SPS eaters in the wild, but it's beauty is worth a chance. I tried my luck, in the past, with strictly SPS eaters and had no luck trying to wean them off the SPS. At least all of these will eat other foods and all are doing so.

Last edited:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: