danmhippo

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have lost 3 clams over the last 2 weeks. All are 4"+ and has been with me over a year and a half. The first sign is the mantle not responsive when shadow passes, then the mantle stop extending, then the mantle retracts, after that overnight, all flesh are cleaned out (probably by the scavengers). When one is showing sign of stress, all the others are perfectly fine. It is until the last one got cleaned out, then the next one shows sign.

Today, its the third clam that has reached the point of no return. I finally have the previledge of picking up the shell and force open it. Within the remaining flesh, Y'Know what I find? A F^$@$#^&**^$@#%!$%&*)(*%$@#^&&$#@!~#%&^&**&^%&*&%^$#%&^^$##^*&%%.

Its a white crab looked just like the pest in Juliung & Delbeck (spelling???) Book. It looked like a miniature spider crab. Shells are all white and the abdomen shell is semi-transparent showing yellow guts. The body reaches size of about a penny (not counting the legs extended). That MoFu &^$@#%^^#$%^&^.

The strange thing is when the clam are first showing the sign, I removed the clam, and do not see anything unusual. Its when the clam are almost half dead, that's when I found the crab inside the third clam.

People beware, if you see your clam showing stress, It is always safer to remove it to another tank to prevent whatever is causing the stress to spread to other clams!!

I am really pissed off today.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: