jejton

Rating - 100%
26   0   0
Mray - I didnt say its not harmless. Please reread the quote. I said IF its harmless, then I can leave it. And of course it has to be introduced - spontaneous generation has been disproven quite a while ago.

Anyways, this morning much to my surprise its mostly gone. I dont know if it was the heat ( tank temp spiked before I turned off the MH ) or the snails and hermits took a liking to it.

mray - dont be so excitable. If its harmless then I can leave it for the snails and crabs.

Domboski - As of yet I havent introduced anything from LI sound but would like to do some local beach explorin and huntin after finals ( with proper quarantine of course ).

jejton

Rating - 100%
26   0   0
Stony Brook.

Now that the ?bryopsis? is more or less taken care of, I'm having an almost outbreak of red slime (cyano?) on some of my rocks. The flow is pretty good almost all over, and those spots definately are not lacking. Normal part of the cycle or bad husbandry? I plan on testing the water tomorrow nite.

mray

?
Rating - 99%
96   1   0
How are you getting rid of the bryopsis? If it is dying in your tank then it is possible that it is releasing nutrients into your tank.

Domboski

No Coral Here
Rating - 100%
237   0   0
Your tank is fairly new right? If so, normal cycle of the tank. Keep syphoning it out as much as possible.

Stony Brook huh? If you Drive past the university on Nicholls road and make a left (25a) and take it to the end and make a right so you are driving towards the water. You'll pass through a small village. You will come to a docking station with a small beach area on the left side. There is always tons of hermit crabs and pipefish over there. I'm sure there is more critters but I've always used that spot to grab hermits. They do great in our tanks.

jejton

Rating - 100%
26   0   0
Yeah I know that area well - walking distance from my house. I didnt realize I could collect anything there. Will have to try it out this week. What species of pipefish do you find there and do they do well in a tropical tank or need cooler water?

ReeferGoneMad

I Smoke Live Rocks
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
this algae does look to be byropsis although the pic is blurry it looks almost like a different species of filamented hair algae. as for the cyano there are certain types that like flow. many believe cyano to be a DOC issue although this is a bacteria and not an algae if carefully remove via turning off all water movement and maually removing as much as possible without disturbing it too much can help slow its growth.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: