Galantra

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
37   0   0
Wanted some help in how to setup my sump I am still debating if I will connect my 100gal stock to with my system just wanted to see what will be the best use with my current system which will be a 300g & 150g tank connected to a 180g sump including a 75g frag tank. Here are photos of the sump so far that within my basement:

DSC00386.jpg

Also wanted to know if a Reeflo Baraccuda would be enough as a return pump or would i need more for the two tanks?

tomtoothdoc

GOLFER WANNABE
Rating - 100%
390   0   0
just tagging along. i'm kinda concerned about that stand though....lots of re-enforcement added there. plus the right side looks unsupported...the edge of the tank is not directly over the vertical support???....could just be the angle of the pic.
180 gal.sump--> 72x24x17 (assuming the water height in the sump is about 17" leaving ~50 gal. for all the tanks to drain in) = 127 gal.@~8.6 lbs/gal. = almost 1,100 lbs..... that's alot of weight over that stand!?!?!
personally, i would just build a new stand....just a 2x4 frame with 5/8 ply and foam....costs like $40-50 in material. just my $0.02.:wink1:

masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
448   2   0
Ritchie, that sump cleaned up nicely my friend. Kudos to you.

I have to agree with Tom. The stand does not make me feel overly comfortable. I can tell you this, if the 2x4 on the top that is laying flat under the plywood was standing on its edge, I'd probably say everything would be fine. However, with the 2x4 laying on the flat it offers no support. It WILL sag and compromise the structural integrity of your stand/sump/system.

Now, for the pump question. I know the sump is in the basement and the display tanks are upstairs. How much height is the pump pushing up? How far apart are the two displays? How much pipe? How many fittings (ball valves, unions, 90's, 45's, reducers, couplings, LocLine etc.)?

In order to recommend a pump, or pumps, we need to know what forces are working against us.

Russ

juiceguy

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
40   0   0
hey G, the tank/sump looks clean..........are you going to put baffles in it?

the stand doesn't look to sturdy from the pic, i would re-think that before you start filling that up.

your pump question depends on what you are trying to accomplish but i think the barracuda split off to 2 tanks and the the added head pressure of traveling to the first floor will be to much for it

Galantra

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
37   0   0
Guys don't worry bout the stand, It bothered me as well, and I decided to rebuild it as well make it lower.

I kept it up to give me ideas and to get me to start working on the tanks... plus I am working solo didn't want to lift it to take it down.

Currently I have a Baraccuda and was going to use. I am uncertain on how I was going to run the lines. I will be plumbing everything with Spaflex PVC any imput will help me out here a base of my ideas so far:

TanksPlan3.png

Galantra

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
37   0   0
Russ & Frank, Thats what I was looking to hear I felt that the pump wouldn,t be enough just had to hear it from someone else. what would you suggest of a return pump? The tanks are under 21ft away from each other and from straight across to the other room you are looking about 34ft from tank to the sump. Pipe wise I won't know till I start to connect to sump. I Will be using 2 gate valves at the end of the return to the sump

Unsure if I will be using baffles since I won't have a fuge connected since I have the denitifier.

Last edited:

albano

Saltwater since 1973
Staff member
Rating - 100%
129   0   0
Ritch, that drawing is almost identical to my present set-up, even how many feet from sump! Anyway, I would also suggest another 'extra' return piping for overflow/emergency, and depending on pump output you'll need at least 2" PVC. As you already know, I have been using an Iwaki MD100RLT for 5 years with no problems, to return to my 170g and 130g DTs

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: