bruce922

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all,

I'm going to finally after years of wanting to, get a saltwater reef tank started. I have been reading about water chemistry among a bunch of other things also. I have had up to 55 gallons tanks in the past. Most recently had a 55 gallon african cichlid tank. I moved and broke the tank down and sold it.

I have been talking to the workers in the local aquarium stores. Many of them were very helpful, but told me many different things. My main question is what size tank to start with? I have been looking at the 34 gallon Solana tank, I like it cause it has all the necassary equipment needed all-in-one. I have also looked at a 40 gallon breeder tank, which I like alot also. I know with the breeder tank I need to have a seperate sump. Any ideas what do go with? I feel like if I get the 40 gallon breeder then I need to know a bit more about the overall system and what everything does as far as the sump, skimmer, and etc. More of a challenge I guess then going with a tank that has an all-in-one system.

Any adivce would be appreciated!

hijinks

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
my current is a 46g which I started salt with. I think that is a good size since I can put a small sump under the tank. I don't have to worry about water level drop on my display tank.. I can also hide everything in the sump so its on in the display.

Plus with salt.. bigger is always easier to keep but more expensive. The more water you have in your system the safer it will be in case something dies or such.

I would go as big as you can.. the 46 suited my budget nicely. Big enough to enjoy but but so big I'm poor.

greggnyce

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
All in one tanks can be good but you are stuck with what you have once you have it. If you go for the breeder you can taylor it to your needs. There are plenty of great people here to help you through the process just ask.

James983

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
59   0   0
I think before you buy anything you need to decide what type of reef tank you want. Softies only, LPS, SPS etc. That will have a big impact on what equipment you buy. That way you only buy once.

NYreefNoob

Skimmer Freak
Rating - 100%
166   0   0
First Question To Me Would Be, In Reality What Total Price Range Are You Trying To Stay Around, This Will Help People Give Appropriate Opinions. There Are Also Several Systems For Sale On Here As Well

ZBT3091

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
if 2500 is your budget you can probably do a really nice tank around 75 gallons. I have spent around 3,000 for my 75 and I will probably spend around 500 more to finish stocking it with corals and fish. I just recommend that you definitely spend the money and get certain basics that have high initial costs like drilling a tank, a phosphate reactor, sump, protein skimmer, lighting, live rock and live sand. It will be expensive initially but it will save you money in the end and make your job easier

Keith P

Mr. No-Show
Rating - 100%
37   0   0
I would go with an all in one, with the plan of upgrading in the future. (Assuming an AIO will be a lot less $$ than a full build)
Spend a year with an AIO and you will have a much better idea of what you wants and needs are. This will leave you money for all the other gear you'll need, regardless to which tank you go with (RODI, Refractometer, Test Kits, ETC).

I mean, who expects their first tank to be their last? LOL :)

Rating - 100%
38   0   0
be patient and wait for someone to sell their whole setup, but first decide how big u wanna go, i say go as big as you can fit in your house cause sooner or later u r gonna wanna go bigger trust me.....so wait for a tank stand light skimmer sump with pumps and powerheads and of course most important is a rodi ....make sure u get 250 mh light too.just be patient

NYreefNoob

Skimmer Freak
Rating - 100%
166   0   0
red sea max 250 that leaves ya a grand for rock corals and fish, 65g tank all in one with enough light for sps as well or you can come get my whole system for that :shhh:, leo has a nice set-up f\s also

18oreefer

+270
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
Definatly buy either here or try craigslist.org search fish tanks. You will get a lot more for your money. I once bought a whole 120 flat back hex with everything 200 lbs rock 6' 1200watt mh hood corals fish EVERYTHING for $1500 on craigs. Just look around. A good book i might recommend is The Marine Aquariest. Its perfect for getting started because it spells everything out. GOOD LUCK. Hope to see a tank thread of yours soon.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: