• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our saltwater aquarium community?
    JOIN NOW

hurrifan

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 180 gallon tank and need advice on the best way to set up the filter and plumbing system. I want to have a sump filter, downdraft skimmer and uv. How do I run all 3 from one pump (Amp master 3000)? Is that wise or should I have dedicated pumps for each unit? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Sidewinder

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Generally, IME, it's better to design in some redundancy into the system using multiple pumps, mutiple heaters, etc, in case one should fail. That's what I'm doing on my 180. Since I have installed 2, 20 amp., dedicated GFCI circuits I was concerned about one "tripping". So I have my circulation pump (Iwaki MDRLT 100) on one circuit and my skimmer/refugium return pump, MDRLT55 on the other. The various heaters will be split up between the two as well. HTH, Ed

Alice

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aside from the redundancy factor, there's also flow rate. I don't know what the Ampmaster is rated at but you really cut down on flow when you start T'ing different things off of the main line.

matthew

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
as for the UV I used a magnum intake tube with the strainer and run a siphon off the tank to the sump with a ball valve to slow down the flow. This way I dont have to have a pump to run it. I have it this way on two tanks and it works great. I don't think the amp master will run all that and give you good circulation. I have a amp running my ec-150 with 3returns to the tank I still needed to add two mj1200 for water movement in the tank. I would on a 180 use two ampmasters this way you dont need any powerheads in the tank and have great water movement. You need to use all 1.5 tubing for the amp to really shine If you look at my system you can get some ideas.

Matt

http://communities.msn.com/mattsreef90gallonref

jdeets

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't run everything with separate pumps. The Ampmaster will provide more than enough flow for you to run the UV and feed the skimmer. You'd probably need a separate pump to actually run the skimmer.

All you have to do to run other things from your return pump is when you run the line off the pump output, put several Tee fittings in the line. Then attach ball valves to the tee fittings and install hose barbs on the tees. You can use whatever size hose barb you need, based on the size of tubing you'd need. Then adjust the flow through the accessories using the ball valves.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: