chargher

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so my light system wont fit under my canopy. I was curious is it possible to remove the light system ( its a Metal Hailide) from its casing and install the reflector in there on my canopy and basically want to convert it into a retro and put it in the canopy. I plan on unscrewing it and taking it apart with the atnitics- I plan to cover 50 percent of the canopy with glass so the bulb doesnt get salt on it.

not to happy with the light but cant afford a new one at the moment- it has no fans in it so i plan on installing once in the canopy if i get the go form you guys.

Its a single 250 watt bulb not a double as show in the picture thats just an example of what the light looks like.

Are there certain things a retro fit has that makes it different? Is this safe?

Attachments

• metal_halide_2a.jpg
    metal_halide_2a.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 89

chargher

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
make sure it is mounted on heat dissipating and resistance material to lower the risk of burning down the house. For eg. never on acrylics and general forms of plastics.

What type of material do you mean? you think its ok to mount the reflector right on the wood do i need to put anything between the canopy and the reflector?

fishfreak1242

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 90%
18   2   0
What type of material do you mean? you think its ok to mount the reflector right on the wood do i need to put anything between the canopy and the reflector?
Just put it on a nice thick piece of wood and it should be fine. If you point a fan right at the bulbs you will never have any problems with heat.

jhale

ReefsMagazine!
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
be careful with the glass, it could end up getting covered in salt spray and block a good amount of the light. if the bulbs are high enough off the water the salt should not be a problem.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: