Rating - 100%
38   0   0
Need help with this euro-reef rs 135, its sumberged in 8 inches of water constantly, the 5000 needle wheel pump makes noise at start up i have to block the input of the pump with my finger to get it to start bubbling/working all the time otherwise it just make noise and does nothing, sometimes the skimmer just decides to fill the collection cup with water which is annoying what could be the cause of this? last night it did it again and thank god i caught it before it flooded my place. has anyone experienced this with their skimmer? Please if anyone can help me it would be much appreciated.

Last edited:

House of Laughter

Super Moderator
Staff member
Vendor
Rating - 100%
310   0   0
sounds like 2 distinct problems - depending on how the air gets into the skimmer could drive why water is going in OR the pump isn't getting air and is just pumping water into it.

The pump problem is likely a bad impeller and needs replacing.or perhaps the shaft is bad.

Is the "5000" a sedra? needlewheel? if so, I think that's under driven (could use a larger pump)

HTH

house

Rating - 100%
38   0   0
it gets air after i block the input for a second for some reason then it runs fine, but this filling up with water issue is scaring me im ready to chuck this thing out the window,,,needlewheel pump, this is the pump that comes with the skimmer

House of Laughter

Super Moderator
Staff member
Vendor
Rating - 100%
310   0   0
sounds like a sedra 5 and likely it's not strong enough.

When you block the intake - the pressure builds up and when release starts the flow strong enough to suck the air into the venturi.

Before you dump the skimmer, consider throwing a sedra 9000 on there or a mag 9.5 without a needle wheel.

Hope this helps.

House

marrone

The All Powerful OZ
Staff member
Rating - 98.8%
80   1   0
I think I have the same skimmer, I'll have to check.

The Sedra 5000 is the right pump for that skimmer anything larger will cause the skimmer to over flow the cup. I would take the pump apart and clean it, as you may have something blocking the opening, possibly salt creep.

Before taking it apart boil some water in the microwave and let the skimmer rubber hose suck it up. This will melt the salt creep and give you more bubbles.

As for the skimmer overflowing the cup, well this is something that does happen, especially when something gets in the tank that makes the skimmer go crazy. You may want to get an outside collection cup. This will stop the skimmer from overflowing.

marrone

The All Powerful OZ
Staff member
Rating - 98.8%
80   1   0
Take apart the Sedra. I had to replace the entire needle wheel magnet due to uneven rotation.

Because of heat the magnet may have swelled, causing it to fit too tight in the pump. People have actually had to shave down the magnet. I think if you do a search on RC you'll find some info on this. Check out Euro-Reef forum on RC too, you can even tell them about your problem.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: