rickb1

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
no, one of the heads seems to be receding showing skeleton. I havent fed the torch directly ever.

rick

jdeets

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK--then I'll have to defer to someone with more direct experience. I haven't kept any torch and the only thing helpful I could think of was what I said in my prior post. Anyone else out there have any helpful thoughts??

rickb1

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Woke up this morn to find two heads of my torch coral had been slimed with some translucent suff over the head. I need to go and will run some tests when I get back but wondering if anyone has seem this before?

rick

jdeets

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are the polyps there, just covered in a layer of slime? What color is the slime?

Has the torch been fed any solid food recently? I once dropped a whole piece of krill, about 1" long, on one head of my hammer coral. The hammer engulfed it and ate it. After about a week, I noticed one day that the whole head of the hammer was retracted and covered with white slime. It turns out the hammer was just purging the waste from the large meal.

rickb1

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
HELP.. Now spreading to my mushrooms and polyps, the first head to be infected seems almost through the infection but alot of skeleton is showing I dont knwo if it'll make it

ph 8.0-8.1
nitrate 0.0
ammonia 0.0
nitrite 0.0
calcium 450
alk 3.0

somebody must have seen this before.

rickb

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it is spreading it is some sort of RTN or bacterial infection. For some immediate relief dip the coral and other inverts in some Lugol's solution. This MAY kill the offending bacteria that is living on the tissue. For long term treatment you will need a treatment tank to remove them from the attacking RTN(I will continue throughout the post to refer to this "episode/bacteria" as RTN aven though it may not be the cause).

Then....Water Changes. Only put them back after they are fully healed and your tank has gone without any hosts for at least a month.

Have you experienced any rapid and/or large temp swings?

The stress of a rapid/large temp swing could supress an inverts immune system enough to allow a bacteria or pest to overwhelm it.

IMO somethimg is amiss. Due to the fact that your shrooms are suffering. They are commonly refered to as the invert roaches of the sea.

Good Luck and I'm sure someone here has had some experience with this and will be able to help better. Hopefully their advice doesn't come too late.

Dan

MIKE NY1

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
About a year ago I purchased a two headed Pink Tip Green Branching Frogspsawn. Well within a week one head developed a slime infection. I siphoned off as much as I could, but it just grew back and I didn't want to stress it out anymore with any kind of dips. I ended up just cutting the infected head off to save the other. A year later it has four heads now.
Euphyilla are pretty hardy corals like Dan has mentioned something must be amiss like a temp swing, Ph drop or trauma of being moved. I can only suggest to siphon off as much as you can and do water changes.

Good Luck
Mike

rickb1

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update #1

I did a 20% water change and may do another. Polyps are opening up but major damage has been done. None of the torchs arms are visible but I'm hoping something will come back. All the shrooms jumped off their rock but they are opening up a bit where they are. I definately had some major temp swing as I live on to top floor and usually come home and blast the ac. I am dosing selcon right into the tank. I am sweating as I write this, I 'll have to cool the living room off slowly.

thanks
Rick

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: