Drshare

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all ..... one day I will finally get how this all works but for now I really need help. Last year I had a horrible green hair algea outbreak and it was only corrected after taking all the rocks out and scrubbing them. All Coraline was dead (white) and the tank look like crap. Over the next couple of months things seem to bounce back and the rocks were full of coraline and looked great the couple of corals I have looked good and the fish were doing great. Boom then came the change of seasons and the green algea was starting to show it ugly face again and now the coraline is starting to die again, the top 3 inches of my overflow is now white. I tried keeping a head of the algea by scrubbing the rocks but it came right back. I have tried leaving the lights off but I am afraid I am going to damage the few corals I have. As crazy as it sounds the few times this has happened it always seems to be around the change of seasons.

Here are the specs of the tank, its a 90 gallon reef ready tank which is kept at the firehouse. Ph is 8.4, Nitrite is 0, Ammonia is 0, and nitrates are around 60ppm (can never seem to get those down). I have a set of clowns, a goby, and a pseudochromis...a hand full of hermit crabs and snails. I am sure there are things I am not listed that you guys are going to ask but I really need help I don't want this to fail and I feel like its headed in that direction

Thanks
Doug

Drshare

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pictures of tank

Here are pics of the tank to help answer any questions you guys might have

Attachments

• IMG_4387.JPG
    IMG_4387.JPG
    50.3 KB · Views: 93
  • IMG_4386.JPG
    IMG_4386.JPG
    46.3 KB · Views: 95
  • IMG_4385.JPG
    IMG_4385.JPG
    51.5 KB · Views: 104
  • IMG_4384.JPG
    IMG_4384.JPG
    39.9 KB · Views: 103
  • IMG_4382.JPG
    IMG_4382.JPG
    55.4 KB · Views: 103

Dannyboy11222

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
36   0   0
There can be a few reasons why, one being ur nitrates. The questions you should be asking yourself are? Is the tank in direct sunlight, also is your lighting to high & the third being your nitrates. If you really want a algae free environment. Then a low nitrate system is best.

theMeat

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
Hi there.
Is this a volunteer fire house?
Where is it?
I do tank maintenance and would be glad to come over, no charge, and at the very least assess your system and give you some pointers toward heading in the right direction.

Drshare

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There can be a few reasons why, one being ur nitrates. The questions you should be asking yourself are? Is the tank in direct sunlight, also is your lighting to high & the third being your nitrates. If you really want a algae free environment. Then a low nitrate system is best.

Thanks, this has been so strange. I go 6 months or so with no issue what so ever and then boom its there. I have never been able to get my nitrates to 0 so they have been consitantly at this level.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: