stazitto25

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
36   0   0
Good Morning Reefers,

I recently moved and need to get my 57 rimless taken down and into my new apartment ASAP. I have been doing some reading and would like to share the process that I am thinking of using to move my tank and would like your opinions.

First I would transfer all the live rock, water, fish and corals into my spare 45 gallon tank. They would stay in the 45 over night until moving day.

I would then take apart my reef tank, discard any sand, which I am not happy about but read that this is the best way to do it, and clean my skimmer, power heads, return pumps etc.

I would then move my tank to my new apartment, and assemble it again as I desire.

I saw many recommendations to discard all of the old saltwater and put brand new saltwater into my tank. I will get this as close to the original as possible in terms of ph and salinity.

I will then put everything into buckets, and move it into it's new home and hopefully live happily ever after.

The only questions that I am unsure of is if my stock will be fine in my 45 gallon tank for a day or two while I move and assemble my tank. It is going to be bare bottom with all of the live rock and original tank water so I would think this would be ok for 48 hours or so.

Any thoughts, opinions or concerns would be appreciated.

saltwaterinbrooklyn

Pro hobby anti profit!
Rating - 100%
132   0   0
Stock should be fine over night pending water chemistry is equal to what you have currently , also I did my 57 and kept half of the original water to avoid any blooms or cycles , take your time when doing it and remember all the crud that comes out when you remove the sand , don't leave any water or sand laying around and just keep your eyes open for any sudden changes , I would however clean all the gear first so that everything is an easy transition for ya, keep us posted and good luck

Last edited:

edd

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
96   0   0
your stock will be fine in the 45 providing you add a power head and heater.
you can clean your sand if you have time and don't want to toss it.
take your time, don't rush it.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: