mtxguy8

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
Hello everyone i have a 90 gallons tank with 2 fluval canister filter the 405 rated 100 gallon and the 306 rated 70 gallons doing an excellent job now im thinking in keeping this setup or sell both of them and get the fluval fx5 from a friend and just keep the FX5 that is rated to 400 gallon. which setup will be best? thanks in advance

mtxguy8

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
thanks fredo for replying, but just in general filtration. i have 4 clowns,bicolor angelfish,blue hippo,yellow tang,2 chromis and 2 banggai cardinal with a few corals frags. but is just in general what would be better filtration the fluval 306 and 405 working together for a combine 170 gallons rated or just one fluval fx5 400 gallons rated

marrone

The All Powerful OZ
Staff member
Rating - 98.8%
80   1   0
The FX5 would be better, as it's a work horse type mechanical filter. I run a Fluval 405 and FX5 on my 260gal tanks, which are loaded with fish, and I also feed very heavy, and the FX5 takes out much more stuff than the 405 does.

The thing that you need to know is the cost of replacing the pads in the FX5 is a lot more than the other 2 Fluval filters, but they remove a lot more junk from the water and if you clean them out every month they can last 2 or 3 months before you need to replaced them.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: