• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

rpc07

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
I am in a bad situation at the moment as far as one of the sump baffles in my tank just broke when i was moving it in. now i need to re silicone it while its in the stand. i am using ge 1 silicone how long do i need to wait before i can ill the sump with water? bare minimum i know its supposed to be 24hrs but i dont have that kind of time. and would a hair dryer or anything else speed up the curing time?

Last edited:

beerfish

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
It probably won't hurt to leave the sump offline for 24 hours. Just make sure you put the heater, chiller or fans, and any probes in the display tank. Better safe than sorry. If your return provides a lot of the flow in the tank, add a powerhead or two.

tosiek

Rating - 100%
48   0   0
As beerfish stated. your tank will be fine without a sump and anything that might be inside it, just get enough flow in the tank for the coral and enough surface disruption to get oxygen in the water. Wait the 24 hours. The silicone needs to cure and you don't want the chemicals leaching into your water.

As far as the heaters, unless your tank is going to drop 30 degrees overnight, your gonna be fine. Just raise the temp slowly if it drops alot lower than normal once the sump set up. Your water should keep at just higher than room temp because of the pumps and lights without a heater. My house usually fluctuates between 65-72 with the heat turning on periodically and my tanks usually at 72-76 between night and day, usually no more than 2-3 degrees although the tanks alot larger.

Last edited:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: