jdnumis

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
73   0   0
I think I have it all down. I going to run a 125 reef tank with coral, and community fish. I think I have all the equipment down for what I need. I am gonna get a sump, metal halides, protein skimmer, multiple powerheads, heater, and crushed coral. Do I need anything else? I am not going to rush into this because you honestly can't.

Thank you all for the advice,

James

Awibrandy

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
182   0   0
Dump the crushed coral!!! Get aragonite sand instead.:)

What type of corals are you thinking off? Get the best skimmer you can afford, biggest sump atleast 30gallons, 2 heaters w/some sort of controller like a ranco. Depending on your budget I'd look at Koralias, MP..

Awibrandy

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
182   0   0
Your welcome!
Asked because of the light requirement for different corals.;) SPS need the highest light output, where as softies & leathers don't require that much.
MH = higher electricity bills & heat issues.:) But I love my 3 X 250watt MH.:)
What skimmer are you thinking of?

BTW, the most important equipment IMO is a good RO/DI, and it should be your first purchase.:) Can't fill the tank without it.lol

jdnumis

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
73   0   0
Re: Awibrandy

I will want to get coral that needs less light. Is a powerhead the same as a pump such as Koralis? And what does a good RO/DI stand for? I am sorry for the stupid questions but I need to ask them because I want to do this right. How do you feel about LED system? I know its very expensive, but I love the way it brings out the different colors in fish and coral. I will get the best protein skimmer out there. With all the equipment that I stated, how often do you think water changes are needed?

Thanks again,

James

Awibrandy

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
182   0   0
There are no stupid questions in my world.:)

RO/DI = reverse osmosis deionizer water filtration system.;)

I got mine from airwaterice.com. Bulkreefsupply.com also has good ones from what I have seen.:)

How often to do Water changes are up for debate.lol I prefer weekly water changes, and so do my corals apparently.;) Some advocate biweekly, monthly, and some will advocate never. Really do not agree with the never.
BTW, a very good friend and excellent reefer stated, and I 100% agree with: "Never take advice from a reefer who's tank you have not seen".;) Lots of peeps talk a good game, now lets see the prove.lol

Best protein skimmer out there can cost you in the thousands.;) If you've got it go for it.:)

jdnumis

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
73   0   0
Thank you for your help. I guess I am not gonna get the BEST protein skimmer LOL unless I win the Lotto. Is the RO/DI = reverse osmosis deionizer water filtration system part of the sump?

Awibrandy

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
182   0   0
Thank you for your help. I guess I am not gonna get the BEST protein skimmer LOL unless I win the Lotto. Is the RO/DI = reverse osmosis deionizer water filtration system part of the sump?

LOL, same here!;)

Here's a pic off of the net of an ro/di filter.;)
MISER.jpg

No, it's not. You will also need something to keep the filtered water in. I use a "Brute" 44gal. can, but anything that is clean, food grade recepticle will do.
You can either hard plumb, or hook it up to your sink faucet to filter the water.

Last edited:

Awibrandy

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
182   0   0
oh dear, that is not my ro/di.lol That is a pic of one off of the net.

Stedfast, this is not my thread. It wouldn't be fair for me to post pics of my tank here. For pics of my tank just click below on my tank thread.;)

Here is a pic of the sump on my fowlr. Just so you know there are many different types of sumps.:)

Attachments

• Sump.jpg
    Sump.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: