Breezp

Reef Geek
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Hey guys im getting back into the hobby but since i am dorming at school i need something i can take with me so i need a little help... heres what i have in mind....

12 gal aquapod w/ hqi
aqua c remora skimmer

whats the best powerheads to use and should i even bother with a sandbed?

Thanx in advance guys

basiab

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
117   0   0
Sand or not is an old story and you can find many threads with many opinions. You have to decide for yourself. Just keep in mind that no sand will eliminate some things that require sand. Some wrasses, some corals like plates need sand.

greggnyce

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
If your just keeping zoas and softies why get the hqi, it is overkill. With 12 gallons of water it will heat up quick unless you keep the light a good distance off the water.

DHaut

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
36   0   0
+1 on light overkill, but you'll change your mind and add LPS/SPS before long anyways ;)

If softies is all you're looking for, your pump plans are fine. They won't need much flow.

I'd get sand. Bare bottom just looks funny to me.

Breezp

Reef Geek
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
yea im most likely just going to go with a pc setup for now, worse comes to worse i just buy the hqi in the future when i get that sps itch, im going to try and take things slow and make sure that theres growth in the tank and everything is ready before i try to keep any sps... for the filter im going to use an aquaclear and gut it out and mod it into a HOB fuge/sump... im going to do a sand bed but a very small sand bed... 5lbs or less... but they dont sell sand bags that small... does anyone have any extra sand that has been established and not sitting around? and i want the water level to stay high because i dont want the waterfall from the aquaclear to be loud... besides a dose drip (which i already have laying around from my previous tank) does anybody have any other suggestions on how i can do that?

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: