jhale

ReefsMagazine!
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
In my sps dominant tank I've got a green tipped frogspawn.

I've been moving him all over the tank trying to find just the right spot.

It's hard, there is a lot of flow, it's not happy in that.

How close can I keep it to other coral? will it end up stinging or killing the sps? I think I found a spot for it in the top left corner, but I've got to move a large brown monti.

the other question is about large frilly mushrooms.

I have some on a rock that has been kept isolated at the bottom of the tank. I moved them to make room for more coral and they have expanded to twice there old size. they are sitting next to a stag coral now, is the stag in danger. one of the mushrooms is touching the base of the stag.

thanks for the advice, I'm lps challenged :tired:

alrha

Rating - 100%
85   0   0
just watch the frogspawn and make sure he cant reach the SPS. placing a rock between them should protect the SPS. if it does sting it, you will see and you can move it fast, otherwise say bye bye to the SPS. keep in mind that it's sweepers are longer than you might expect.

i have hairy mushrooms growing by my monti cap - the monti doesnt seem to care.

marrone

The All Powerful OZ
Staff member
Rating - 98.8%
80   1   0
I would move the Frogspawn away from the sps as it will sting them and possibly kill them. I have mine frogspawns and hammers neither each other and soft corals without any problems but away from other LPS and SPS as when they have touched either the frogspawn or the other corals have died. I would try and keep it out of the flow and since you have the hairly mushrooms I would place it near those, mine are fine together.

The other possible is to add more LPS. :icon16:

Reefer420

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
I have my brain coral within 4" of my frogspawn now and there aren't any problems. The were within 2" or less before (after brain grew out a little) and the brain ended up getting a little stung- so I moved them further apart.

My blasto was within an inch of the brain's base and there weren't any problems- but I recently moved it (which it is not happy about) due to encroaching zoos and a cramped space.

Reefer420

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
btw- frogspawn will destroy SPS if it touches it. I had a small frag of acro fall into it after getting knocked down by my blenny. The piece is still mostly dead. But that was a direct, smothered-by-Frogspawn hit.

jhale

ReefsMagazine!
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
thanks guys,

how big will the froggies get? do they ever stop growing?
it could get scary, I got this guy and he was the size of a golf ball maybe,
now it's like a good sized eggplant. I've had it for 9 months.

Michael the other alternative is I have to sell froggie :(

jhale

ReefsMagazine!
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
Reefer420 said:
btw- frogspawn will destroy SPS if it touches it. I had a small frag of acro fall into it after getting knocked down by my blenny. The piece is still mostly dead. But that was a direct, smothered-by-Frogspawn hit.

:bigeyes2: Akk, I'm moving him now, he's very close to a few colonies

marrone

The All Powerful OZ
Staff member
Rating - 98.8%
80   1   0
jhale said:
thanks guys,

how big will the froggies get? do they ever stop growing?
it could get scary, I got this guy and he was the size of a golf ball maybe,
now it's like a good sized eggplant. I've had it for 9 months.

Michael the other alternative is I have to sell froggie :(

Or sell all the SPS ;)

They can get very big specially if they're the branching type. They keep spliting and actually will bud off little frogspawn heads under the bigger head. If you look at a picture of MaxPower tank you'll see a really large Frogspawn that took up a large part of the bottom of the tank.

jhale

ReefsMagazine!
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
sell my sps, hehe, I can't most of it I'm holding for people ;)

the frog spawn now has a large back corner of the tank all to itself.

It has at least another year before I have to worry about fragging it, I hope.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: