CoralMeister

The Flying Reefer
Rating - 100%
50   0   0
So I've got a 10 gallon sump, with two compartments: In and Out, with 3 baffles, no fuge. I've got a CPR Overflow box with a 1" pipe going into the sump. The PVC is right next to my skimmer, and have just a minor problem...since the "in" PVC plumbing is right next to skimmer, all of the bubbles collected on the way down enter into the first chamber, directly where the skimmer is. Once in a while, the bubbles hit the skimmer pump, causing a Loud grinding noise. I got used to it by now, but neighbors "allegedly" hear and even feel the pump just simply doing work. They describe it as "An abrupt Combine" (LOL) Anyways back to topic, These are very fine bubbles, and it seems like they just can't avoid the pump. This is not a mechanical issue in regards to the pump, because it works very very very well...(SKIMZ ES2000 , max air : 720 L/h.)

Ironically, No bubbles enter my DT...just looking for any ideas you guys might have on how to fix this...
I've tried putting a small sponge in the overflow box, with little success.

Last edited:

jcohen9999

Overkill Reefer
Rating - 100%
20   0   0
Yeah, I had (and have) a similar situation and I tried an H-pattern contraption made out of pvc to allow the air to escape while the water entered the tank and then I ended up just cutting the pvc just shy of the waterline to minimize splashing and still allow air to escape without creating that burping effect. This was on my reef tank where the water was coming from the upstairs to the basement.

I just setup a FOWLER with a regular sump and I with this I drilled a bunch of holes in the tubing just above the water line to allow air to escape and minimize splashing and that is working out OK. Not perfect but mush more subdued.

HTH

Jeff

rkaragozler

Newbiee 4 Ever
Rating - 100%
125   0   0
try this with your pvc
This is the bottom
drainlinelower.jpg

this is the top
drainlineupper.jpg

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: