dsgray16

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
37   0   0
Hey guys,

I finnally filled the 58g.. its has a 30g, two baffle sump. The return pump is an Ehiem 1260.

I need some advise on how to properly tweak teh flow rates of both drain hose and the return. I cant seem to get a consistant water level in the return pump section of the sump. I feel like this will make setting up an ATO impossible..

I also need any advise people have for quieting this thing down! How you guys keep the noise down thats created by the drain??

Thanks. Ill get some pics up later!

PolandSpring

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
243   0   0
i have the same problem ..someone told me to buy a pad to put underneath the skimmer and return pump so it wont vibrate as much..when i have time this weekend i will do it and tell you how it works out

MikeyZO

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
make sure the flow rate of the overflow exceeds the flow rate of the return pump. if its close or less, then the pump will put water back into the tank faster then the overflow can drain it, causing your sump level to slowly go down

dsgray16

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
37   0   0
Well the drain rater has to match the returm rate almost exactly, no? I have been tweaking the flow of both by covering the vent hole on the drain with tape, and by closing the boll valve sligtly on the return. The problem is that i cant count on the tape to keep the drain at a constant flow rate.. should i put some sort of a valze in there? What have you guys done?

Craig

120 Club Member
Rating - 100%
20   0   0
if you want to adjust the durso opening try drilling it to be a little larger and then attaching some airline tubing and a valve. The rate of the overflow should match or exceed the rate of the return pump. Dialing down the return pump will just cause the water to drain a little slower. Keep tweaking till you find the sweet spot.

MikeyZO

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
right, the drain has to at least match, if not exceed the return pump. The idea is that as long as the drain can handle what, if not more, then return pump is pumping, you wont have a problem. Its better, imo, if your drain exceeds the return pump even by just a little, leaves room for error just in case. In other words, just because your drain can handle more then what your pump return is pumping doesnt mean youre tank is just going to drain into your sump. remember, the water level goes down until it stops at the overflows water level, then the pump starts putting it back into the tank, and then the drain will only drain what the return puts back... so a smaller drain would cause a tank overflow, a matching or bigger drain will cause it to equillibriate. I know that sounded confusing, but I think it made sense LOL

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: