Rating - 100%
54   0   0
Like the title says, need someone to change one of my outlets in the living room. I would do it but thats one of the very few things i wont do, lol. Of course it's the outlet that my new tank is connected to. Anyone here that does that kind of work? Please PM me. Thanks.

Rating - 100%
54   0   0
You need to change the outlet or run a new line?

Just the outlet I believe. It's an old house, the outlet runs very close to the floorboard. I have a friend coming tomorrow to take a look at it so far. Let's see, hope its not major work. My surge protector says its Protected but Not Grounded, whatever that means. I checked the surge protector in a bunch of different outlets and I only get that with this one outlet. I don't have any livestock in this tank yet, all my fish and corals are in a holding tank in the living room.

Aquanewb

Active Reefer
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
Most likely in an old house they used 2 wire as the old outlets were only 2 pronged. Not grounded. If that's the case you can run a ground to the back of the box if its metal with a small self tapping screw with either bare or green copper wire and connect that to your ground screw on the outlet. Easiest way of grounding an outlet with out running new wire that I know of. Hope this helps.

STHILL

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
118   0   0
Most likely in an old house they used 2 wire as the old outlets were only 2 pronged. Not grounded. If that's the case you can run a ground to the back of the box if its metal with a small self tapping screw with either bare or green copper wire and connect that to your ground screw on the outlet. Easiest way of grounding an outlet with out running new wire that I know of. Hope this helps.

This is correct, but the outlet should still be grounded when screwed into the box ...unless the actual bx is not connected to the outlet box or panel...

Rating - 100%
54   0   0
My friend came over this morning with a voltage tester and everything was checking out fine, he decided to remove the outlet to inspect it and two wires were touching, one became loose somehow. Thank God, that could have started a fire. I replaced the outlet anyway with a GFCI. Thanks guys.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: