brad789

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i'm looking to try out beginner sps frags and need suggestions on what types would do well in my system:

tank is 8 mos old, 40g (36"x18"x16"), 1x175w 10k (on 10hrs) and 2x95w vho actinic (on 12hrs) both 4" from surface, about 80 lbs of live rock, 50lbs of live sand, cpr bakpack 2 skimmer, maxijet900 and 2-rio 600's controlled by a wavemaker, 2 gallon refugium, sumpless, ca 410, alk 11.3, ph 8.0-8.3, temp 79-82, no amon, nitrites, nitrates 10-15ppm, w/c 2x month with io.

current livestock:
1 squamosa, 1 crocea, 1 derasa, 1 toadstool, 1 trachyphillia, 1 turbinaria reinforms, green star polyps, mushrooms,xenia, anthelia, torch, panancora, bubble tip anemone, 1 marron clown,
3 chromis, 1 firefish, 1 cardinal, 1 raiford's goby. feed 1/2 cube once a day, flakes twice a day. 2tsp of dt's every other day.

tanks been running beautifully with everybody showing growth and great color. thanks for your suggestions on which sps would be ok for me.

brad

Jeff Hood

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, try a Mont. Digitata. They seem to grow like a weed and look cool in any color. I have the orange, green and purple.

Another coral that seems to do well is the Milipora I think they are called.

check out Patricks site. you can find a link to his site on my coral page.

Good luck.

curator

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Brad, I have been growing coral for about 7 years and propagating for two or three. In all my experience I have to say the most enjoyable experience you could have as a beginner to sps will come from Montipora Digitata. The family and even that species come in a great variety of colors and will tolerate the poorest of conditions and still grow. Starting here will certainly help you gain the confidence to move on to more difficult and challenging species.

blane

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am also a big fan of montiporas, both digitata and capricornis-style. My tank at a year old is well on its way to being a monti grotto, at least on one side. Whenever a tip or branch breaks off (which happens, they are pretty easily broken) I mount it on another portion of the rockwork and it quickly takes hold and starts a new colony.

IMO they still need high quality water, lighting and flow, even if they are more tolerant than other SPS. Given those conditions, though, they will grow fast and aren't the least bit disease prone IME. They also recover fast from injuries if they are burned by a neighbor or get bumped into.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: