mandown123

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
19   0   0
Hello fellow reefers

I have a T5 lighting, and it is working alright. LPS looks good, SPS not so fast growing, Rose Anemone is not bubbled though. I figure I could definitely use a lighting upgrade. I am pretty sure I want to stay in T5s because my tanks is a standard 30 long.

Now i have this : http://www.fishneedit.com/t5ho-3ft--4lamp-aquarium-light.html

it is good but just not cutting it. I t might have to do with not having individual reflectors? I need a big time upgrade, wanted to go 6 or 8 bulbs.

What about this? http://cgi.ebay.com/36-Aquarium-Light-T5-HO-8-x-39-NEW-Moon-Lunar-Reef_W0QQitemZ350125380901QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item350125380901&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1205|66%3A1|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1318

Or should I go with maybe a Tek or Nova or current fixture?

Please weigh in and help me out on this one I only want to spend once. I know you guys have more knowledge than I do by far.

Much appreciated!!!!

oddball516

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Go with an icecap retro kit, and a make custom hood. Just did that for my 30 gallon tank and it looks great and I am very happy with the light output i'm getting with my t5's.

mandown123

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
19   0   0
oddball... thanks for the information i really wanted to make a custom hood, get it nice and tight looking. Is the icecap the overdriven T5? where you can get more wattage out of the HO bulbs?

Can you link me to the stuff you got... looking for a good deal as well.

Much appreciated!!

JLAudio

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
maybe change the ballast to one suited for a 4 foot lamp and overdrive the bulbs. Ive heard people getting good results with this and you wouldnt have to change the whole setup. This will probably shorten the life spen of the bulbs but on t5 there pretty cheap.

If you're not too technically sound im sure one of our members would take this job on for a reasonable fee and would still be wayy cheaper then a new fixture. I also dont think more bulbs will help with anything besides better tank coverage but I dont see how that will help with sps growth or other extreme light corals/anemones.

Im no expert just some thoughts and suggestions

mandown123

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
19   0   0
well, the problem is really that the reflector is horrendous on my t5s as is. the aquactinics tx5 is starting to look much better. 5 bulbs should be good and those icecaps reflectors are the best it seems from some quick googeling.
anyone else have aquactinics tx5??

Galantra

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
37   0   0
I would suggest changing your ballast as well. If you are looking to purchase a whole unit going retro would be better since the really good T5s out there cost a lot! You can buy pieces used and some new whatever equals out to a better buy. Since you have SPS I would say you need each bulb to have a separate reflector also 6 bulbs would be best and you can just overdrive half or all if you want. Also be concern about the bulbs you are using since they do make a difference on what you are growing. And also placing them in the right order to target certain areas I made the change from MH to T5s a hassle but worth it.

ming

LE Coral Killer
Rating - 100%
272   0   0
I agree with Galantra.
I grow SPS successfully, but I'm using the 6 bulbs IceCap retrofit with IceCap ballasts and individual reflectors. Most people unsuccessful with SPS on T5's are using a cheaper T5 fixture, not saying the cheaper ones can't grow SPS, but I think it grows them slower

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: