Keith P

Mr. No-Show
Rating - 100%
37   0   0
I've been getting constant cycles of dinos, cyano, and all kinds of nuisances keep popping up.

I have a feeling it's due to a phosphate issue. My tests say zero, but the quantity of cyano says different..

I figured it's time to pull my RO/DI apart, scrub down my water holding tubs, and soak my pumps and skimmer.

What do I use to clean everything? Is vinegar enough?

I saw a thread, not so long ago, that had instructions on cleaning an RO. Can some one help me find the link?

A totally off the subject question. Can old bulbs cause these problems? My MH bulb is well over a year old. I need to squeeze another month out of it while the new tank cycles (if I actually get it plumbed this weekend). I have a feeling this particular bulb fel out of sectrum months ago.

hijinks

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
yes old bulbs will cause it. They will lose temperature rating and drop down to the ranges where algae can thrive. MH should be replaced yearly and I think others every six month

My algae outbreak was due to old bulbs since I bought my fixture used.

Keith P

Mr. No-Show
Rating - 100%
37   0   0
lol and if ur friend pass's lmk

I'll let you know, but not likely. He's taking my whole nano setup. Skimmer, chiller, light, tank and all..

Any suggestions on the clean up? It's been about 6 months since anything has been cleaned. Last time I just dunked the stuff in vinegar and then ran RO through them.

NYreefNoob

Skimmer Freak
Rating - 100%
166   0   0
if the bulb is old that can and will cause cyano, also not enough flow, id syphon out what ya can, an ddo a large wc. i use vinegar to clean all my stuff buckets included, power heads i let run in vinegar for a few hours then take a toothbrush to them

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: