Silverni2

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
After 4 years with a reef tank I think I'm ready for a new challenge!! I am thinking about transforming my current 120 lps sps tank into a seahorse tank. I have not researched this at all but I will be reading up on seahorse tanks shortly but I thought I would get your thoughts first. Any info at all would be appreciated!
Thx

TRIGGERMAN

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
172   0   0
Seahorses are pretty hard they are very delicate animals. You can't have any corals in there that would sting them. A majority of seahorses are colder water species and you would need a chiller to keep the water cool. They also require 3 times a day feeding, minimal flow and lots of branchy stuff to grab on to. You can't really keep them with anything else except for pipe fish. Your best bet for research would be seahorse.org I am far from an expert but that's what I know. Definitely do a lot of reading on that site there is tons of good info there. Good luck!

E.intheC

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
150   0   0
I would follow trig's advice on the website and researching. However, you also should think about why you want to change things around in your tank. Is it boring? Too much work? Etc.. I would try to figure that out first.

IMO, seahorses kind of just chill out and don't move much. It's absolutely your tank, but I don't know if a 120 full of seahorses and macro algae would keep my attention for too long. Again, this is a hobby and we all have different tastes, but it's something to think about.

Silverni2

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Seahorses are pretty hard they are very delicate animals. You can't have any corals in there that would sting them. A majority of seahorses are colder water species and you would need a chiller to keep the water cool. They also require 3 times a day feeding, minimal flow and lots of branchy stuff to grab on to. You can't really keep them with anything else except for pipe fish. Your best bet for research would be seahorse.org I am far from an expert but that's what I know. Definitely do a lot of reading on that site there is tons of good info there. Good luck!

Thanks for the info
I do have a chiller so that's not a problem
But how about water parameters
Ca alk and mag? Do they matter assuming the tank is seahorse And
Vines of macro algae with some love rock ?
How about nitrates phosphates and lighting?
Thanks again

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: