SnowManSnow

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
a few significant things have been factored into the 120 I'm putting up.

1 I went ahead and purchased a MP40w for the main in-tank flow pump. I got a great deal from a store in Cal.

2 I actaully started cooking my LR in my current tank in an effort to rid it of any unwanted algae before putting it in a nice new tank. We will know how that works out in a month or so.

QUESTION UP IN THE AIR.... do I run a BB tank ... or do I use argonite again?

Opinions on this?

B

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ran my 300G BB and think it's lower maitenance and less likely to have algeas isssue. High flow and good protien skimming is the key. You can achieve higher flow with fewer dead spots with a BB tank.

Louey

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, what do you want? For SPS they say BB is the schiznit.

Ben1

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah you can run any system wither way if you do it right. My tank is BB and I have enough flow so very little detritus settles. I also use a fuge, with a 2-3" SB for denitrification. Since the fuge is seperate from the system, if I feel the bed is getting caked up later I can just take it off line. So IMO I get the best of both worlds.

I ran just BB for awhile and my tank was too clean, the sps grew slow and although we brightly colored it was too much and they got pastely from having a too ULNS, and I wasnt about to start with all the AA and such to supplement that. I feel with the fuge I have a more natural system but still very controllable, I can feed heavy with no issues. last night I added a bunch of cyclopeeze and oyster eggs to help dirty the tank up / feed the sps.

As far as cooking LR, if it is done long enough and properly it will work. The correct way to cook it is many months in the dark. In bins with saltwater, a heater, and a small skimmer if you have a spare. Then be sure to swish the rocks every few days to allow all the detritus to shed and change all the water in the bins peroidicaly. I have done this and what you end up with is white rock with nothing but bacteria. I guess it is worth it if your rock is really problematic. For my new setup I just started it with all new dry rock from marcorocks.

Good luck with the vortech!

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: