VICTORIA

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi
Just Recenty added some more live sand to my exsting DSB. What I am experinceing is a great diatom bloom. What confuses me is the first time I added it no diatom bloom. This time big bloom. What should I do? Just leave it and it will go away? Its not really causing any problems. Just looks bad. Thanks to any advice. :wink:

JTW

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Make sure that you have an adequate "clean up" crew (ie. snails). To help knock it back. Also, check all of you chemical levels and make sure they are all in check. My guess is that it will run its course.
J.

Mikef1

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would make sure your using RO/DI water for all top offs and water changes. Check your tank for phosphates and if they are present run RowaPhos, I run it all the time. It lasts longer than all the other phosphate removers. It also removes silicate in the water. If your nitrates are high I would do a good size water change. Hope this helps.

VICTORIA

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes thank you for the reply
I did do a 20% WC nitrates still 15ppm. I do also use RO water.
nitrite 0
ca 420
mag 1200
SG 1.025
po4 0
ph 8.1-8.5
all looks fine, oh also I up graded my lights.

JTW

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Victoria-
Did you upgrade your lights before or after the diatom bloom? What did you upgrade to?
J.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: