A

Anonymous

This ad is confusing. HID simply means "high intensity discharge", which covers a whole spectrum of different types of lighting. Metal halide IS HID lighting, as are HPS bulbs (high pressure sodium) and sulfur plasma (completely unaffordable at this time, but man do they look sweet).

Aquatic Life combination HID, T5 HO and Directional Lunar Aquarium Light fixtures feature built-in timers and fan-free cooling for quiet operation. State-of-the-art HID single-ended metal halide lighting technology provides powerful intensity with 700+ nm output, the dappled-effect of metal halide, and light output greater than standard halide lamps. Energy-efficient T5 HO Lamps deliver 420/460 nm actinic light. Aquatic Life Adjustable LED Lunar lights pivot 40 degrees for directing illumination. A built-in timer system controls all 3 lighting types independently for establishing a complete light cycle. Internal electronic ballasts work in conjunction with special aluminum housing to help dissipate heat away from the fixture without the use of noisy fans. German-made reflectors produce maximum lighting output. Each fixture includes adjustable width aquarium frame mounts, suspension hardware, and all bulbs. A complete reef aquarium lighting solution from Aquatic Life.
It sounds like they're still a MH bulb, just a "different" MH bulb. What's driving those bulbs is just as important, in my opinion. They're not giving enough specs, I am incredulous. But, a few clicks brings me here!
http://blogs.thatpetplace.com/thatfishb ... g-systems/
A quick response back told me all I needed to know. Developed by OSRAM GmbH in Germany, The HID lamps are single-ended, G12 base metal halides with output similar to comparible double-ended HQI models. The single-ended design allows Aquatic Life to position the bulbs both horizontally and vertically, depending on the demands of the fixture. The single ended design with a built-in reflector allows the light to be extremely focused for greater lighting power. The technology used is common overseas, but has only recently reached the States. Being metal halide bulbs, you still get the shimmering, dappled effect on the water too. The Aquatic Life website gives viewers access to independant bulb output tests too if you’re interested.

A

Anonymous

That's what I thought, but many posts elsewhere claim that the heat is less. I have even seen some compare them to thoe HID blue wavelength car light bulbs.

A

Anonymous

<shrug> They're MH, but not.... "regular" MH. But they're still MH. :D Hey, man, it's all HID to me!

A

Anonymous

never seen a bulb like this
242505.jpg

if it were me, it'd stick with conventional lighting.

A

Anonymous

The cost and the lack of bulb choices would stop me from trying, as long as there where no added benefits(like less heat, increased PAR...).

A

Anonymous

That's basically why I would stick to conventional lighting. Heating is NOT an issue for me, only thing that would make me consider that direction is extreme energy savings (on the order of LEDs) while still having the same impact of MH bulbs.

A

Anonymous

These lighting costs are unbelievable, systems and bulbs. It's enough to cause one to leave the hobby.

A

Anonymous

The only cool thing is that you can direct the lights with the swivel attachment.

SlipperMan

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't like them that much. The ones I've seen in action give a really "spotlighted" appearance. One area super bright, the rest not so much.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: