grimreefer1

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

I just got a sweet deal on 140 pounds of live rock, 100+ pounds of live sand, a bunch of corals, and some fish. A very nice reefer is bringing all of this to me, direct from his tank (that he is dismantling), and it is all going right into my empty 100 gallon tank (filled with saltwater, of course).

He says that my tank won't need to cycle. In theory, this makes sense, since the live rock (fully cured) and sand will already be active.

I will be skimming the tank, but it might be a couple of days before my skimmer is set-up. There will be no other filtration. Of course there will be plenty of circulation.

I am so nervous, as this is my first reef tank!!!

Has anyone had a similar situation? A big move?

Please please please tell me everything will be okay!

Love,
D

afss

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have movwed my tank from florida to ontario over a period of 7 days with opnly airation and then set up. I had no cycle or problems. You might want to get a bottle of cycle and add it as directed just to help as a buffer, but i would think there should be no problem

danmhippo

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmm...., Well my advise is to always cross your fingers and be prepared for the worst. You might still want to leave the tank clear for a couple weeks so you can monitor the progress of nitrogen cycle (if there is going to be one!)

Good Luck

grimreefer1

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Me again,

Also got word that I will be receiving 50 gallons of his water, even though I understand that the water itself doesn't really house the denitrifying bacteria, it should be easier on the fish and corals.

bowfront

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like you are in good shape to me. This is esentially nothing different than temporarily breaking down a tank and setting it back up with a 50% water change. I've done the same thing before a few times without any problems. The aged water will help you considerably with the transfer. Test the salinity of the old water and match your new water to it exactly before mixing the two together. Good luck with it you lucky sob.

afss

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah, i forgot to mention that as with any "new" set up you should take time adding new corals and fish for the first while until the water parameters even out.

grimreefer1

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
afss,

I really wanted to wait to add my livestock, but the guy selling it can't wait, so I decided to take it. 100 bucks for ALL of his corals.

highrpm

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just my opinion but don't add "cycle" - this will just help to increase your ammonia, and other specs. It is useful with a new tank, with nothing in it, like using raw shrimp, etc...

Again, just my opinion but I don't think that will help your situation.

Quillen

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, one of the people posting the other day thinks the deep sand bed being stirred up caused some fish death. If you aren't putting anything in right away, I think it would be fine (not an expert on moving tanks though). You might want to try using the search function to read up on other's experiences.

grimreefer1

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yikes,
I saw the posts about the sulphur in the DSB being a problem when it is stirred up. I think if the fish were removed from the tank and put in their buckets for transport, and then, 50 gallons of water siphoned out, and then the sand and rock removed, and all of this transported to my house, which will have 50 gallons of water ready, then put the sand and rock in, that the concentration of any noxious gasses should be reduced/minimized,right?

JRM

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I wouldn't worry about having 50 gallons of water around. With all that rock and sand, you'll have significantly less water volume. Minus the 50 he has I'd be really surprised if you even needed half that.

Although, you could make the batch and age it as an insurance policy. If things start looking like they're heading south lots of water change can be a good thing(tm).

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: