wereef

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Fellow reefs.Orgonites.....been down for a while but am slowly picking up pieces to get back into the game. I have spent the last week researching a few tank choices and trying to dig all my stuff out of storage and need some help sorting out a game plan.

I want to do an inwall setup this time and have made up my mind that this tank will be softie and LPS only.

I am going to use this thread to document the build from here on out so all posts for my tank will be in one thread and I wont add a bunch of 1 off topics on the boards....

first a small background from me so we can start off on the right note.

I have been involved in the aquarium hobby for over 20 years and was running a reef for about 2 years when I took a job that caused me to relocate to a new zip code. I tore down the tank and had planned to set up a bigger tank in my new house that was going to be supported by the new paycheck...Well, long story short, The position was accepted, the family was moved, the house was bought, the "fish room" addition was being built, and the company closed it doors. Thanks for playing, here's a severance and oh, by the way, we need to discuss that relocation benefit we might of mentioned :roll:

Love this economy we're in don't you?

I'm not letting life get me down so I am pushing forward with my plans for a new tank but now the budget just got a little tighter (by about 50%) lol

I have a 8 foot long wall that will be used for the inwall, the viewing side is a home theater room and the backside is a closed off fish room that is doubling as a laundry room. the fish room is about 8x10 so there is a good size space to work with. My original plan was to put in a nice 300g tank with all the fixings but nix that plan.

So, now that I said Hi, and promise I am off my soapbox, Let the game begin.....

First a list of equipment I have on hand:

1 - 29g tank
1 - 55g tank
1 - 10g tank
1 - 2x250w MH retro (pfo Ballast) will need new bulbs
1 - 2x110w VHO retro (pfo Ballast) will need new bulbs
2 - 2x55w PC (Aro Ballasts) will need new bulbs
4 - Balasts of unknown orig that can drive 8x55w PC's if used together
1 - 75gpd RO/DI (will need new membrane / filters)
4 - 250w heaters
8 - MJ1200's
1- Wavemaker (powerstrip Style)
1 - 18g RO resevoir with kent float valve
1 - magnum 350 canister filter (maybe use for running GAC...no floss)
1 - B-Ionic doser with 2 air pumps (probably would work today just as well as it did new :roll: )
1 - ATO unit pressure activated with pump
1 - Premium Aquatics light controller with ORP and PH probes (need new probes)
2 - ICECAP 6" Fans with temp probes
1 - CPR Backpack Skimmer with MJ1200 and AIR Pump Mod
1 - CPR HOB Refugium with MJ900 (small Model)
1 - X10 Controller and 8 modules

I think thats all....

My undecided tank choice is one of these choices:

90g RR
125g RR
150g RR
180g RR

the 90, because of the height of view and 18" width
the 125, because the length of view still 18" width but lower height
the 150, both for height and added width which would be 24" but shorter length.
and last, the extreme end of all the above Length 72 Width 24 and Height 24

The 180 is my prefered tank of choice but pushes my budget too. I don't know if the 2x250w Mh and 2x110w VHO is enough light for this tank or not??

Also, Its gonna take for ever to fill this sucker with frags to look like anything LOL

What I am pondering is this....

180 Main Display
55 Sump with Live Rock
29 Refugium
use the 2x250MH and 2x110w VHO on 180
use 1 of the 2x55w pc's on the 29g Refugium
put 4 MJ1200's in 180 (1 in each corner) add the mod kits and put on wavemaker timer
2" Sand Bed in main display
4" Sand Bed in refugium
1 heater in RO resevoir tank
1 heater in Main Display
1 Heater in a (to be bought) salt mixing tank
1 heater in sump
hook lights up to controller
and use the 10 gallon tank for target practice after painting a certain company's logo on the front :lol:

new items that would need purchased to have this setup going are:

180g tank
Skimmer (Thinking ESV 180 with Mag12 ??)
and something to call a return pump ????

Sorry this post is so long, but trying to cover all bases to start.....

Lets here it all, what say you, It'll work, It won't, I'm dillusional????

Seriously, I need help on the Lighting questions, The Skimmer Choice, and a return pump plan. I think I can do the 180 with the equipment and stay on budget if I play my cards right.

Thanks all and missed ya!!!!!

Wereef

And so it begins

ChrisRD

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like a fun project.:)

Personally, I wouldn't try to stretch 2 X 250 + 2 X 110 VHO over a six foot tank.

If I was doing the 180 I'd probably buy another AGA (now Aqueon) which has two centerbraces which basically leads to using three halide lamps. I'd probably go with 3 X 250 + 2 X 160 VHO.

The other option I would consider if you want the biggest possible tank and really don't want to upgrade the lighting would be a 5' tank like the Oceanic 156 (24") or the Perfecto 120 (18"). Both have a single centerbrace and could be lit with your current setup (although the ends would be slightly dimmer).

Nothing wrong with just sticking with a 4' tank, but personally, if I was going through all the trouble of putting a tank in-wall I think I would opt for a 5' or 6' tank.

JMO...

wereef

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the reply,

I can pick up a single 250w halide cheap enough so thats no problem. I thought about sticking with the 4' tanks, but with an 8' wall, it just seems tiny....lol

I was doing some more research (dreaming) and found a very nice 240 that would more than happiliy fill the space at 72x24x31. the cost is not that much more than the 180 so now I am stuck cosidering option 5.....lol

on a side topic, whats up with this place? is the economy so bad that all the members have flown? I checked back a few times to see if there was a reply and everytime I log in, I am the only person shown as viewing the forum.

And don't take this the wrong way, I do appreciate the reply but only 1 reply so far and more importantly, only 38 views? I added 5 or 6 myself....lol

where'd everyone go?? i'm lonely now... :lol:

wereef

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Compared to some other places, the traffic is slow here. But from what I've seen, the advice tends to be rather more consistently good. Those offering it, particularly for the trickier questions, tend to be very experienced.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BTW, your proposed set up sounds very exciting. Just a bit beyond my personal experience or reading! :)

Mogo

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a very similar in-wall set up similar to what you are proposing (6' long 130g in an 8' wall). A great opportunity to "go big" especially seeing as you have a fair bit of room to play with behind the tank. A smaller tank size (90 g) sunk into an 8' wall span could appear smallish compared to the wall area. If in doubt, you can can cut templates of various tank sizes (the front area) and tape them to the wall.

I agree with ChrisRD that you should consider 3 250w (min) mh's over a 6' tank.

Especially with a large tank you should consider evap/humidity issues in your fish room and the potential need for extra ventilation. Maybe tap into your dryer vent?

Any rate, sounds like it could be a great project and not hugely expensive seeing as you already have most of the equipment.

wereef

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the feedback,

I have been trying to figure out the humidity issue too. The room doesn't have any windows. I was considering adding a vent fan in the room that would be ducted outside, luckily, the room is in the corner of the house so 2 walls are outside walls. there is a washer and dryer so the dryer vent might be an option if I could figure out how to keep dryer air from feeding into the room, There's also a gas water heater in there but I don't think it would be a good choice to t into that vent.

I like the idea of the templates, I'll make up a few and see what it looks like. luckily the house is slab floor so weight isn't an issue on this one. at least i got a break there.

i'll plan on 3 halides, i figured 3 feet was a stretch. it's also probably a good thing i only plan to go softies and lps, 250w is going to be a little on the low side for the depth i will be dealing with. So far in my tank search, the options just keep growing. I set a budget of 1000.00 for the tank so I have a nice field of options available. Tonights search landed me on a used AGA 72x24x31 for about 400 dollars. tank is non-drilled though.

keep the opinions flowing all, I need ideas.... :lol:

Thanks again..

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd think 250w would be fine for a 24" deep tank. Or am I getting mixed up again with tank dimensions? Is it actually 31" deep? And when I say deep, I mean high. :oops:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: