finksmart

SPS Fanatic
Vendor
Rating - 100%
268   0   0
So a friend of mine has shown interest in starting up a fish tank (in particular to keep "Nemos"). She has never kept fish before. Should I suggest that she should try freshwater first to see or tell her to read and read and read and if in doubt, read more?

hijinks

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
you can do what i do.. and tell them how much you have spent on your tank.. that usually makes them stop.

I'd tell them to start with fresh at first.. cause salt is a lot more work... if they enjoy keeping fresh they should be able to keep salt.

aznt1217

Forever Noob
Rating - 100%
191   0   0
No. Don't waste your time with fresh unless you actually like it lol.

Just let her know it's not that hard and the addiction can turn uncontrollable really soon and this is a definite dent in the wallet... (hole in the purse for her)

Warn her about the turn offs of the hobby in particular... all stuff related to RODI... Not all hobbyists (including myself) have the dedication or patience for :

1. Making the Water
2. Topping Off
3. Water Changes

Marteen

Meow?
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Start off small! A 14g biocube or something is much easier to do water changes and maintain than say a 40g breeder. Tell her to read a lot before she even gets the tank and plan out what she wants to do with it. Does she want corals? Fish? what kind? Can she afford the hobby?

Arati

Advanced Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 100%
56   0   0
I would tall he to start with mid size tank 29-45 gal, Then help her out by writing a list of things she will need anf giving her a basic price for decent equipment. also explain that if she skimp she will buy twice.explain refugiums /sumps ect since nemo will want a home(Nem) dont even discuss a fowler..

ecvernon

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
170   0   0
Tank

i agree. my 40 breeder is a lot easier to keep in check versus my 14 gallon biocube.
i say try to start her off with a moderate size fish only salt water aquarium. when she get used to that she will then decide if she wants to go further. just be prepared to be "on call" for questions like why is my water and rocks green? LOL
a large fish tank is much easier to control and keep parameters stable since you're dealing with a bigger volume of water things dilute in it more. that's just my opinion

greggnyce

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
I never kept freshwater fish, just jumped into saltwater when I got a 24gl nano for my birthday 2.5 years ago. Not to say freshwater keepers have bad habits but it is so different from saltwater.

+1 midsize tank. My nano was tough to start out with, especially keeping on top of the evaporation at first. Easy for water changes and maitnence but it goes bad fast.

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Make sure that she knows there will be no instant gratification. Regardless of her tank size, she has to know that it will take weeks of cycling before she can even begin to put livestock in. Make sure that she knows she will be testing her water for various chemicals for a long time....even after her tank "appears" to be stable. Make sure that she realizes its not a casual decision, but a commitment. Does she travel? Who will take care of her tank while she's gone?

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: