Omri

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
I’m starting a new 140 gallon reef tank this weekend and wanted to buy all the test kits I need. This is my least favorite part of reefing from past tank experience so I’m looking for something convenient and easy I can stick with!

What should I test for when I first start the tank?
How often?
Which test kits are easy and most accurate?

When the tank finishes cycling what should I test for and how often?
If someone has a good system, please share your practices! I would like to keep a log of these results near the tank but make it something I will actually do!

Rating - 100%
161   0   0
As far as maintaining a tank this is my routine testing
#1 top of my list for sure is alk every other day with salifert test kit or hanna checker
#2 calcium salifert once a week more if you are dosing .I use a cal reactor so my calcium is balanced to my All... salifert test kit
#3 magnesium once a week. Salifert test kit
#4 nitrate. once a week salifert test
#5 phosphate once a week Hanna checker
I like my temperature at 77 78
Salinity check with refractometer usually right before my water change .once a week water change with ESV salt for me that's 50 gallons

Rating - 100%
98   0   0
wow, that's a lot of work,
temperature daily, because my apartment is either too hot or too cold. turn fan off/on.
Hardness and calcium every month, since I dose and need to meet the minimum requirements and not over shoot by too much.
salinity once a month (or 2 months) just to keep up with the wet skimmer.
nitrates once every 3-6 months, (since my algae is growing, I know it's there)
phosphates same, unless I'm actively trying to reduce it and measuring its effects.
I use the cheap API kit

vashawn

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
38   0   0

honestly i dont think thats a lot of work!
300 total vol (no Cal reactor/no Doser)

-salifert ALK every other day -->i compare with the HANNA ALK chk ...8.5alk (15min ).
-salifert CAL every other day...420cal (10min)
-salifert MAG pro once a week 1250-1300 (10m)
-hanna checker low phos 0.04
-API pH 8.2, ammonia 0, nitrite 0 and nitrate 0
-red sea refractometer 1.026 sal i have the hanna salinity checker HI98319 which i use to compare.

and everything time i go to ADVANCED MARINE AQUATIC (shoot out andrew n nick) or NY REEF AQUATIC (shoot out kevin) i take a sample for them to do a test

note: i have been running to issues with the hanna alk and salinity checker (wrong readings)

i do all this while watching the news .lol.

Rating - 100%
161   0   0
honestly i dont think thats a lot of work!
300 total vol (no Cal reactor/no Doser)

-salifert ALK every other day -->i compare with the HANNA ALK chk ...8.5alk (15min ).
-salifert CAL every other day...420cal (10min)
-salifert MAG pro once a week 1250-1300 (10m)
-hanna checker low phos 0.04
-API pH 8.2, ammonia 0, nitrite 0 and nitrate 0
-red sea refractometer 1.026 sal i have the hanna salinity checker HI98319 which i use to compare.

and everything time i go to ADVANCED MARINE AQUATIC (shoot out andrew n nick) or NY REEF AQUATIC (shoot out kevin) i take a sample for them to do a test

note: i have been running to issues with the hanna alk and salinity checker (wrong readings)

i do all this while watching the news .lol.
It's not alotta work ..if ur not checking alk every other day then u will not be able to keep sps imo

Rating - 100%
161   0   0
temperature daily, because my apartment is either too hot or too cold. turn fan off/on.
Hardness and calcium every month, since I dose and need to meet the minimum requirements and not over shoot by too much.
salinity once a month (or 2 months) just to keep up with the wet skimmer.
nitrates once every 3-6 months, (since my algae is growing, I know it's there)
phosphates same, unless I'm actively trying to reduce it and measuring its effects.
I use the cheap API kit
Do you keep sps

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: