• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our saltwater aquarium community?
    JOIN NOW

Slimjim

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, all over this weekend
I added all new live rock to my tank, the LR came from a friends tank it haddent been out of water to long like maybe 40min.. so i did some washing off just in case some stuff was on the rock. when adding the live rock there was a huge Leather , an frogspon. the next day it bgain gettin cloudy, turns out when testing only thing wrong was the Nitrates where Sky rocketing...... over 5 i think. ive been doing fresh water changes 2 aday. only takin out 1-2gallon at atime. any suggestions i dont want to kill my Clowns there just starting to get along :) should i quarinten them an do a new sycal?

Thanks AGain

brandon4291

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey good buddy, if you were meaning that nitrates were 5 ppm then Id say thats just about right, my tanks average 10-20 ppm nitrate and even this is low compared to fish-only systems where nitrates can easily be 100+ppm. Im not advocating 100ppm in a reef aquarium but just setting up a good comparison! Its likely that you've stirred up sand and what-not to cause this white cloud, I dont think its bacterial die-off. Unless your fish are swimming erratically or have the obvious spots, I wouldnt quarantine them either. Small, frequent water changes are a great idea to help get your tank started.

post again with an update please :)

Brandon

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: