james1990

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
57   0   0
might sound stupid, but im having a hard time lowering the salinity in my 10gal nano with 10gal sump. im using the pre mixed sea water from sea pure and it comes with higher salinity. my tank sits at 1.025-1.024

Can I simply replace tank water with RO water to lower it?

Boomer

Bomb Technician (EOD)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First, why do you want to lower it ? Is it a reef nano ? That is a Salinity of ~ < 32 ppt @ 1.024 and about zero reefs are that low. The lowest being in the Philippines of around 33 ppt. or 1.025. Many inverts do not fare well at a Salinity lower than 32 ppt. Most reef animals come from reefs from 34- 36 ppt or 1.0256 - 1.0271 Sg..

rcharliesam

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
19   0   0
Salinity rising on evaporation makes sense. Just be sure to top off with freshwater and not salt.

You could bring your hydrometer to an LFS to have them check the accuracy, and you should be fine. They are just a pain to use and not as accurate as refractometers. Two things that throw off the accuracy (provided that it is accurate out of the box) are bubbles stuck to the swing arm, and left over salt from not rinsing it out (with freshwater) after use. I would definitely recommend a refractometer though.

Boomer

Bomb Technician (EOD)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First, what hydrometer are you using exactly and how long have you had it? Second, refracts can be just as far off as a swing arm hydrometer. The issue is understanding both and there potential inaccuracies.

Boomer

Bomb Technician (EOD)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First, refracts are NOT more accurate that hydrometers. We have proved this many times. It is user error not the instrument or the user not understanding them.

instant ocean hydrometer and have been using it for about 5 months.

How do you treat it or take care of it ?

IO Swing Arm Hydrometer:

1. After each use it needs to be rinsed well in RO/DI water, the SAME for a refract.

2. You need to check the arm for bubbles to make sure there are not any as bubbles cause the arm to rise more. All you really need to do its put it on a flat surface and tap it lightly.

3. They should be stored wet and not dried off and put in a zip-lock back in a drawer.

4. Once a month soak in pH 4 cal solution over night or vinegar and rinse well in warm RO/DOI water.

5. One MUST also remember that a swing arm is a mechanical device !!

They can be MOE accurate than a refract due to the larger divisions. When one uses a swing -arm, tests the water, just pours it out and just lets it sit someplace wetted with seawater and not rinsed with RO/DI water, the water evaporates and leaves salt deposits on the arm. This adds weight to the arm, weighing it down more, making it more inaccurate and giving false low readings. The SAME with a refract, as the salt deposits on the lens and cover-slip change the RI ( Refractive Index). A refract too needs to have both the lens and cover slip rinsed in RO/DI and the paper towel dried.

Refracts:

1. Most are cheap Chinese crap, such as any of those cheap ones and 99 % of them are just that.

2. These are NOT seawater refracts but table salt refracts that are factory set to table salt NaCl, for Saline solution's. The RI of table salt and seawater are NOT the same. On a expensive hand-held Lab grade, when calibrated in RO/DI water, they will always read 1.5 pp to low. That means to achieve NSW Salinity, when calibrate in RO/DI water, the refract needs to read, 36.5 ppt and not 35 ppt, where 35 ppt ( 1.264 sg) is the NSW std.

3. To make a cheap Chinese refract more accurate and only for a narrow salinity range, i.e, 32- 38 ppt or there abouts, you need to calibrate it in a seawater std, such as Pin-Point 53 mS std solution. And NOT some other Conductivity std that says 53 mS/ The Pin-Point is actually a mock seawater solution.

4. Failure to not follow 2 & 3 and just calibration it in RO/DI water the refract can be off from 0 -4 ppt, due to the cheap and poor quality control of the glass optics.

5. There is only one company in this hobby that makes REAL seawater refracts, that CAN be calibrated in RO/DI and that is Vee Gee. They are sold by Jim Grassinger at The Filter Guys, under that name. They are also sold by Foster & Smith under their name Vital-Sin. They are the exact same unit. These units are twice the price as the cheap Chinese ones ` $100. Their window view is a very sharp, clear, distinct, clean and easy to read window, unlike the cheap Chinese ones.

The Filter Guys
http://thefilterguys.biz/refractometers.htm

Foster & Smith
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3578+4690+12132&pcatid=12132

These are examples of cheap Chinese crap

1.)http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3578+4690+9957&pcatid=9957

2.)http://www.marinedepot.com/Captive_...meters-Captive_Purity-CP2111-FITEOPRF-vi.html

ANYBODY that says 1 & 2, or any others like them, are made for seawater are full of BS and I DARE them to come here for a debate on the issue.

The only other true/real seawater hand-held refract is the one I helped ATACO with a few years back, a Lab grade at the tune of ~ $250. The so called real seawater refract by Deltec is NOT a real seawater refract, despite the efforts of them to make one on the data I gave them.

In short, that many find swing-arms a pain, which they can be, IMHO most are better off with refract. A cheap Chinese one is fine as long as it is calibrated in Pin-Point 53 mS or some other KNOWN seawater std. that can be used on a refract. However, in the long run, a Vee-Gee is a better deal.

Boomer

Bomb Technician (EOD)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Who's? Just because it is a Digital does not make it more accurate unless it is a MISCO or one equal to it that have Seawater settings. If it is something like a Milwaukee, made by HANNA or the HANNA, the accuracy is terrible @ */- 2 ppt..

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: