sinularia

New Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I live up in that area and dropped in once i awhile. The owner complained for long time that the internet was taking too much business away. I guess the only place left around here is Beitals in Pearl River....

idua

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s a shame as I heard this was a really nice place. Does anyone know any good LFS’ in the northern NJ or Westcheste/Rockland counties.

nagel

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh man, I can't believe hes gone from nanuet too now!!! He used to have 2 stores, one in nanuet, and one in oakland, nj. I frequented the one in oakland, and he really knew his stuff, plus he had very nice tanks. He would refuse to sell you things unless he KNEW you could handle them, I know, I asked about discus and got an hour lecture on them. I hope he surfaces again, his stuff was top notch!

MiNdErAsR

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is a place in Elmsford NY, Rt 119 near the Saw Mill. Although I haven't been there in quite some time. The owner had a blue ring octopus in a bag "acclimating", and I overheard him talking to a customer saying "no, not all blue rings are deadly...only the ones from Australia". I immediately walked out and never looked back.

There is Wet & Wild in Peekskill NY, but his stock has been minimal of late. I don't know if he's restocked. Haven't been there in a while either.

In Stamford CT there is Reef & Fin. Excellent store, but extremely pricey. If you can talk them down on an item, you can come home with a nice coral or fish. My personal preference.

House of Fins in Greenwich CT, also extremely pricey, and the help are a bunch of snobs who treat you as if you're an idiot. I never shop here.

IMO, IME

Jase

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reef & Fin is the best...I love that store.

As for the place in Elmsford, (Mare Nostrum), I know it changed hands a couple of years ago. Not as swanky as R&F, nor as pretty, but a huge amount of fish and corals, last time I was there. Victor, who used to own Crystal Aquarium in Manhattan, now works there.
No Acros though.

idua

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
MiNdErAsR , you can skip the place in Elmsford. The tanks are so dirty that I would be afrad to put anything from there into my own aquarium. But I have to check that place in Stamford. If you have their phone number by any chance I would greatly apprecite if you could post it. Thanks.

[ July 08, 2001: Message edited by: idua ]

[ July 08, 2001: Message edited by: idua ]

JohnD

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I called the Mr Fish number in Oakland a couple of years ago and was directed to the store in Nanuet. The driving directions were not the best, so I never go to see the place.
icon_sad.gif

jbjints1

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,
I also wish I knew, I have been calling there everyday for about 2 months now, If you do find something out please let me know.

Joe

Josh's Reef

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
MR.Fish was an arrogant ass. There is a reason he is out. He might have known fish, but he didnt have any manors. I live in rockland, and would have rather drive an hour to give some one else the money.
Reef Encounters in hackensack is nice.
Bietels has huge amount of stock, the store is not very clean.Absolutly fish on rt46 in clifton is the best LFS around here but youlle pay up for dry goods.

MiNdErAsR

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by idua:
<STRONG>MiNdErAsR , you can skip the place in Elmsford. The tanks are so dirty that I would be afrad to put anything from there into my own aquarium. But I have to check that place in Stamford. If you have their phone number by any chance I would greatly apprecite if you could post it. Thanks.

</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sure thing, 203-325-3562. Ask for Chris (owner) and tell him that I sent you.

naragonl

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
PET PLACE II in Nanuet, next to Toys R US.
Rt 59, has just remodeled/expanded their store. The entire old store will now be LIVESTOCK (both fresh and marine). I have been following the expansion and it should be almost completed. I have been on vacation and haven't been there in about 2 weeks. They were finishing with the plumbing and they were hooking up a great number of tanks.

I asked them what happened to Mr. FISH and pretty much it was location, location, location and I guess the internet didn't help.

I'm really hoping that Pet Place II will stock a good selection of marine. From the look of things they are installing some really nice tanks and like I said a lot of them also.

Hope this helped out.

Personally I didn't like Beitel's, but that's another story and store I'll stay away from.
icon_mad.gif

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pets Place II will not be ready for about another 2 weeks. I was there this weekend and the tanks are not running yet.

They plan on having alot more marine corals and fish.

Flip007

New Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh man, I can't believe hes gone from nanuet too now!!! He used to have 2 stores, one in nanuet, and one in oakland, nj. I frequented the one in oakland, and he really knew his stuff, plus he had very nice tanks. He would refuse to sell you things unless he KNEW you could handle them, I know, I asked about discus and got an hour lecture on them. I hope he surfaces again, his stuff was top notch!
I used to work for Mr. Fish (Mike). Unfortunately he met with a very tragic end and is no longer with us. He was the victim of a violent crime. Great guy and great shops.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: