Deep Dive Coral

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
46   0   0
hey guys my mom just got back from our house in NC and found some great pieces of rock on the beach. i know its dry by now because its been out of water for a little over 1 week. is it ok to use in my tank at home? also do i need to clean and cycle the rock? also would this be considered base rock now? thanks
progress.gif

Mr. Softy

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
23   0   0
If it's not a calcium based rock i would use it as a paper weight. If it is calcium based then i would recommend soaking it in deionized water for a couple of weeks, during that time you should change the water daily. Test the water periodically to see what has been drawn out of the rock. Who knows what kind of contaminants have been soaked into it. I'm sure that there are simpler methods in which to clean rocks, but this has worked for me in the past. I hope someone else has some tips.

Deep Dive Coral

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
46   0   0
If it's not a calcium based rock i would use it as a paper weight. If it is calcium based then i would recommend soaking it in deionized water for a couple of weeks, during that time you should change the water daily. Test the water periodically to see what has been drawn out of the rock. Who knows what kind of contaminants have been soaked into it. I'm sure that there are simpler methods in which to clean rocks, but this has worked for me in the past. I hope someone else has some tips.

how would I know if its calcium based or not?

RyanG

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Umm yes he does! Do the vinegar test, if it foams good to go with caution no foam dont use. Keep in mind that most of the oceans pollutants are nearest to the shore. I myself wouldnt risk it, but thats me.

MikeyZO

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
I agree with Mr Softy. Check to see if it is calcium based and if it is, throw it in a seperate container just to cycle it for a few weeks to make sure its good to go. The last thing you need is to put it in your display tank and have contaminates start to break down into amonia or the like.

They do look like nice pieces though. Good luck.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: