A

Anonymous

I've had this in my tank for some months now, it came mounted with some other zoas/palys on a plug. Thought it was odd, it just looks like a brownish-green stick bent over. Well, I fragged off most of the other zoas and given the extra room it's grown now to almost 3 inches long. I was surprised this morning when I flipped on the lights and saw the 'mouth' of the thing. Apparently it is non-photosynthetic and opens up at night to feed. Here's a series of pics, anyone with a better idea of an ID please post up.

Attachments

• 05 08 09 zoa3.jpg
    05 08 09 zoa3.jpg
    113.6 KB · Views: 155
  • 05 08 09 zoa2.jpg
    05 08 09 zoa2.jpg
    130 KB · Views: 155
  • 05 08 09 zoa1.jpg
    05 08 09 zoa1.jpg
    117.4 KB · Views: 155
A

Anonymous

:shock: <sea whispers, "It's Dawg's Little Tank of Horrors..! Don't stick your finger in there.">

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very cool find! 8)

I agree it looks like Isaurus sp. Probably not I. tuberculatus, as it doesn't seem to have the bumps on the stalk.

Members of this genus are commonly called "Snake Polyps.” Three valid species are known, I. tuberculatus, I. cliftoni, and I. maculatus. Isaurus tuberculatus is distributed circumtropically and is the species most commonly seen in the wild and in aquariums. Isaurus spp. have elongate columns with tubercles (bumps) and the columns are typically oriented so that the ends face downward. The tentacles are normally retracted during the day and expand at night to feed on zooplankton. The columns contain zooxanthellae and should be exposed to bright light. Isaurus does not need to be fed to be maintained in captivity, but regular feeding will cause the polyps to multiply. The best foods for Isaurus are Daphnia, Cyclops (copepods), and brine shrimp nauplii.

Advanced Aquarist Link

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It doesn't have any bumps on it, but it does have circumferential rings. Sort of reminds me of Shai-Hulud 8O

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally got a good picture of it. Funny, but sometimes I feel like it's watchin' me 8O

main.php
(Hasslehoff Zoa pic courtesy of zoaid dot com ;)

MartinE

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are curious items the ones I have move from a bend over position no tenticles during the day, to an erect posture at nite with tenticles. I sware I can see them change these positions while they are doing it.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: