S

steveo32

Rating - 99.5%
430   2   0
I would look into adopting first. 1. it sometimes will be less than buying and @. you'd be helping out an animal in need. Any way those are jsut my thoughts if I come across anything I will let you know.

xobklynqt143

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 98%
49   1   0
ill tell you one place not to go PUPPY BOUTIQUE i got a maltese there 2 years ago they sold it sick.......make a long story short we took them to court and sued them( for medical bills) and the puppy died =o( ..........we went to SV its on stillwell ave they are a bit pricy but you can see they care for the dogs and they even called me a week after i bought mine to see how he was doing and he has the parents on site (just for maltese and some other type of dog i dont remember what kind it was but it was reallyyy ulgy lol.)

Last edited:

russianmd

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
Just like with fish, dogs require a lot of research before bringing them into your home. And most of that research will say that you shouldn't buy from a puppy from a pet store - they come from puppy mills, are usually not in the greatest of health.

Find a breader - you will be able to see the parents, ask questions, etc.

crox99

Audi Sport
Rating - 100%
103   0   0
Just like with fish, dogs require a lot of research before bringing them into your home. And most of that research will say that you shouldn't buy from a puppy from a pet store - they come from puppy mills, are usually not in the greatest of health.

Find a breader - you will be able to see the parents, ask questions, etc.

I totally agree with you. BTW toy yorkies tend to have great difficulty regulating their blood sugar and can go intohypoglycemic shocks and comas.

marki24

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 99.1%
116   1   0
why dont you adopt, save some money in your pocket and save a life at the same time. I adopted my dog and its one of best things I have done in life. Probably the only thing i have done in life :) There is northshore animal league that has a very HUGE selection of puppies and I bet you will find something there that you would like and take home. Dont be stupid and dont buy.

Awibrandy

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
182   0   0
I've done both! I bought 2 dogs in between adoptions. I have to say I got alot more from my adopted dogs then from the ones I bought.
At the top of the list is the satisfaction one gets from the knowledge of rescuing a live.

But if you must buy, then go through PRIVATE breeders. Do not under any circumstances buy from a pet shop. Heard of to many people getting sick animals. A side from the vet bills they have incurred, there is the emotional attachment that develops in a very short time. And if the animal dies the heart break, depending on the individual, can horrible.
Please consider adoption, just look in the Newsday's weekend paper & (Thursdays paper I believe). Anyway, there are hundreds and hundreds of beautiful animals in need of a good home. As well as the many shelters around.
Click here: Petfinder.com: Adopt a pet and help an animal shelter rescue a puppy or kitten.

Wes

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
1) Never buy a puppy from a pet store.
2) The further from the city you get the less you will pay. One of our Jack Russells came from a Breeder in PA. Very good breeder, reasonable price. I will try to get their info for you when i get home.

marki24

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 99.1%
116   1   0
Just don't buy from a store!!!! Puppy mills are the worst :(

Cruel, awful places - the owners of those places should be shot.

I dont think they should be shot that is just cruel on top of another cruel thing. If we all dont buy from store than they will not buy from puppy mills and then the become extinct. Simple, doesnt it sound, but unfortunately there are some people that dont knwo where to spend their money and will go to a store and pay 1,500 for a baby boxer and i just seen one the other day at BARC Shelter and i think they are charging 150 adoption fee. See the difference? Almost same exact looking dogs, I even go a chance to walk the boxer for 20 mins great dog would take it if i didnt have one already. I think there should be punishable laws for people who run puppy mills and who abuse animals. Has anyone heard about the college football players in Long Island and how they used their pitbulls for fighting and if a dog lost and wasn't completely dead they would hang the dog. NOw that is cruel.

duke62

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
224   0   0
i bought a australian shepherd from a store.i was young and dumb.to make a long story short he got cancer at the ripe old age of 4 and 2000 dollars and 3mths later he was dead.never ever buy from a local pet store or breeder.yeah breeders might sell healthy dogs cause most of them are monitored by the kennel clubs but the dogs they donot sell are put to sleep.go to a shelter and adopt a dog that deserves a good home.

scumonkey

Goniopora isn't VD!
Rating - 100%
25   0   0
but the dogs they donot sell are put to sleep.
:Yikes:
I don't know where you get your facts from (sounds more like a puppy mill tactic),BUT.....
A responsible breeder would NEVER do that!!!!
I used to breed beagles and, made sure to have families for every puppy BEFORE it was even sired!
If for some reason a pup could not find a good home- I kept it myself!
A shelter is a great place to find that perfect companion but....
so is a RESPONSIBLE breeder!
Always get references first!

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: