A

Anonymous

I'm considering one of the all in one nano kits. They have a 3-stage filter - biological, carbon and phosphate scrubber. How much of that is BS? I thought filters were wrong for reef tanks.

What's he latest on the substrate. Back in the day it was a deep sand bed, but I believe this has fallen out of favor?

The kit comes with an LED light. What's the proper wattage. And what's the rule on light temp?

I really don't want a protein Skimmer. Do I really need one? The one I used to have on my giant tank really didn't pull anything and i felt it was a waste of money.

That's all for now. Thanks! 8)

A

Anonymous

If you are willing to change a good percent of your water every week you don't need anything other than light, circulation and temp control.

DSBs are less common now. Sand looks nice but restricts the amount of flow you can have at the bottom. I'm really not up on LED lights; maybe some else will chime in...

A

Anonymous

Oh, another one! Who did I used to hatch shrimp for? Just the fish or did the coral appreciate them too? I recall feeding the coral chunks of regular shrimp, but did the eat the little guys too?

A

Anonymous

Tan.. for both corals and fish, but we've come a long way since that was just the option. For corals there are numerous feeds on the market, ditto with fish.

A

Anonymous

Cool. It's starting to come back to me. I forgot about having that frozen hunk of mysis in the freezerr!

Wow, how did I figure this out the first time?

A

Anonymous

And last night I recalled all the times I got zapped because something got wet and had to be unplugged. It's so much more vivid when there is salt water involved!

Ahhh, the memories. 8)

A

Anonymous

A friend of mine just offered me a metal halide pendant to use instead of the LED.

Suggestions?

A

Anonymous

tangirl":1tu2lxot said:
A friend of mine just offered me a metal halide pendant to use instead of the LED.

Suggestions?
wattage? tanks size you're planning on?(you mentioned several sizes), livestock you plan on keeping?

A

Anonymous

Easy ones - I loved my bubble coral, mushrooms, easy starter ones. I'll add livestock based on what the tank can handle easily, not build the tank around some crazy dreams I have. I really want to keep it simple. That 75g with a sump was a LOT of work and I'm terrified to get into something complicated again.

Maybe a blue tuxedo urchin? I loved him. Maybe a clown? My old clown was very happy living in the bubble coral. I loved my long nose hawk too. So probably just 1-2 fish, possibly a blue tux and some snails and hermits and whatever corals I can use.

Probably the 8g. I keep getting excited about others, but no, I need to keep it small. 8g.

A

Anonymous

I'm not sure an 8 gallon tank is gonna be big enough for a Tuxedo urchin

A

Anonymous

ANEMONEBUFF":m158isy8 said:
Go LED. MH will heat up an 8 gallon quick.

+1

I have LED's over my 60G cube and the temp never gets too hot. Corals are showing great color and OK growth.

A

Anonymous

budhaboy":1j8ympqh said:

Aw really? Just not enough stuff to eat? He was only about 2.5 inches in diameter. :(

A

Anonymous

tangirl":bemf8t61 said:
budhaboy":bemf8t61 said:

Aw really? Just not enough stuff to eat? He was only about 2.5 inches in diameter. :(
you'd have to supplement with Nori, and I'm not sure how many other inhabitants you'd be able to keep with it

A

Anonymous

I'm also thinking a Bubble Coral and an urchin is a bad mix, but I might be wrong...

A

Anonymous

The Escaped Ape":1ab5jlui said:
I'm also thinking a Bubble Coral and an urchin is a bad mix, but I might be wrong...
They lived together peacefully before, but the urchin also had 75g to explore.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: