Cibo

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Are they reef safe has anyone had any problems with them in a reef if so what kind of problems??

thanks

Domboski

No Coral Here
Rating - 100%
237   0   0
I have them. They are reef safe except for one big problem.....They are a cool water snail. They will live a short life in a reef tank. And good luck finding them when they die because they will be buried in the sand :) I have 5 of them in my cool water tank and I barely see them. There are better options than olive snails for a reef tank IMO :)

Pedro Nuno Ferreira

Liquid Breathing
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi
As Domboski wrote, there are better choices for snails to a reef, a one of those is Strombus snails

Some more information about Olividae snails and some more shown in their natural habitat and a handfull of them, some more information

Life habits

The olive snails are all carnivorous sand-burrowers. They feed mostly on bivalves and carrion and are known as some of the fastest burrowers among snails. They secrete a mucus similar to that of the Muricidae, from which a purple dye can be made.

subtropical or cold water species should no go into the reef for the reasons Domboski pointed and they are all carnivorous predators.

Cheers
Pedro Nuno;-)

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: