Uprising Rage

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
17   0   0
DbQxL2KFglb89UhJ2gD1JxuKkZvuOOjPa1pBeaWXCE4

Is this acceptable? Any objections? I want to cement the stand pipes to the bulkhead. Want to cement it tonight but don't want to F it up. Can anyone tell me what's wrong?

Last edited:

Uprising Rage

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
17   0   0
the higher one would be the emergency overflow.... with maybe a trickle of water going down that normally... im thinking.
and the low one is the main drain pipe, I'm putting a gate valve on that one.
Im wondering if they are both too high? or is just the main drain too high? or does it look perfect?

dKTh2pgXhDirOIn2pDuMZtgIq8-JAPYHa1BZXGlCfl8

Last edited:

theMeat

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
It?s going to be noisy. Do 3 pipes. Lowest full siphon with valve to control flow so second highest gets some water. And last pipe highest for emergency. Will be nice and quiet

Otherwise height looks good. Maybe a lil more dif between emergency and drain. All the fittings, if inside tank, do not need to be glued. If outside tank glue em

Uprising Rage

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
17   0   0
Thank you for the reply. maybe i will lower the main one a little depending on what more people say...

If i dont glue the standpipe wont the level of the water be slowly going down into the sump when i shut off the main pump to feed or in an emergency like no power? I wouldnt cement the strainer or coupler, those are up high

Kworker

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
71   0   0
Looks fine to me.. I run my 180 in the basement with a similar setup (no overflow corners) As long as you're not doing an insane amount of flow from the return pump into the tank you're good, just like any other tank. Just make sure you clean off those strainers often.

Kworker

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
71   0   0
Good points about the noise from the other's. Mines in my basement so noise wasn't a concern... While the noise isn't loud it would be annoying if in a living area.

Uprising Rage

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
17   0   0
You mean like this?
I can go to home depot and get a T connection and end cap tomorrow. But tonight i should be able to cement the pvc standpipe to the bulkhead, correct?
The heights look right?

durso_zps7xbasubk.jpg

theMeat

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
Unglued in tank should be fine. The bulkhead is schedule 80, so soft. If you stick your regular white schedule 40 in nice and deep/snug will be fine. You could glue it too

Good point from Reef Trends,
Yes, Durso style will quiet it. Stockman style more so, and a bit adjustable. You could do Herbie overflow style, with the 2 pipes you have, for dead silent. Or drill another bulkhead and do Beananimal style and have silence and another drain for emergency

All these styles, including the one you have pictured, the water level will fluctuate depending on gph from pump, and amount of restriction on drain. So a lil more wiggle room between regular drain or drains, and emergency drain is a good idea.

Last edited:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: