brick-brothers

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
338   0   0
What's up guys. My tank is finally up and running. Not coral ready yet but getting there. I ran ozone on my tank before I took it down. Was thinking about putting it back on for my new build. I just found out that you Cant keep macro algae when running ozone. Looking for some feed back. Especially from my fellow ozone reefers.

brick-brothers

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
338   0   0
I used to run both .after almost having a a fire from uv bulb tube leaking .I took the uv off and just use ozone ,I dont run much 5 minutes every hr injected into my skimmer .i have always grown cheato in my refugium .
Wow, I almost had the same problem. I bought an Ro/Di filter for my house water. It came with a small 12w UV. Problem was the sleeve was crack and water came in contact with the bulb.

gobywon

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
You can consider running the uv on an as needed basis, rather than running it all the time and thereby
lower any associated risks to a very short time frame. It's a good idea to run it for awhile when introducing new members of your aquarium community. Once they are settled in you can discontinue use. That's what I do and I haven't lost a fish in years.

Rating - 100%
391   0   0
Just thought of a uv safety......
Apex temp probe in uv water column,,
> 85° then off....

I would think the concept is good but you would need to get a baseline of what "normal" temp inside the chamber is.

I can not speak to ozone, but ran UV for years. The only time I had an issue and was almost a VERY BAD issue - I had shut the ball valve for maintenance and when I opened it the "ball" stuck closed. Burnt up the tube and bulb and luckily shorted out.

Any of our equipment - electricity / water is dangerous. No matter what direction anyone goes - upkeep and maintenance is key, anything can fail.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: