ClosetFishGeek

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
114   0   0
I have an ozotech positive presure 200mg system directly connected to my skimmer.....At first I had some leaks.....:irked:...now i am good. I have carbon on the exit of my skimmer. In addition, i have carbon on top of my skimmer collection cup. I am using very little in my system. Roughly 50mg and it does the trick. I strongly advise a orp meter being used to control it. I set mine to 450 and it hums along. I have a total of 280 gallons of water the ozotech is on. I do not run a dryer....dont need to be more efficient. Dont forget to run all ozone safe tubing and a check valve. This works like a champ and has made my water even clearer. Just make sure you have no leaks.....:splitspin

nyfireman3097

Rating - 100%
12   0   0
I hear putting it through the skimmer could ruin the skimmer. I have 2 skimmers on my system which total $3000 and would hate to ruin one of them. I plan on using my profulix controller to control the redox. Mine runs between 250-315 but would like it closer to 380-390. In my sump I have carbon inbetween the baffles which they cover the whole 24" all the water has to pass through it to get to the return. would that be good enough ? I also have a extra phosban reactor could I run it through that filled with carbon ?

NYPDFrogman

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
35   0   0
Nick I ran it through a reactor for a while.I had a thread about it.
my ozone r stopped working I never replaced and dont use it now.
don't get so hung up on redox numbers I have a aqua controller and a Milwaukee and they aren't even close I suspect my aqua controller needs to be calibrated though

with that said my redox rose on the Milwaukee (steady @ 425MV)when I added a large carbon reactor
I'm running ESV carbon in a reverse reactor that is 6X15 fed by an ehiem 1250 hobby pump.
my water is crystal clear. I also run a good amount of GFO in a same size reactor with a smaller ehiem pump.
I would add a good sized carbon reactor before I add Ozone less to go wrong and Ozone is not good for your lungs, plastic and rubber in your house.
it eats up those john Guest fittings in a heartbeat

ClosetFishGeek

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
114   0   0
As frogman said the redox level is a general guideline...dont get hung up on it. I actually have 2 monitors on it. I really wouldnt worry about it eating your skimmer especially if you have a well built skimmer. By the time it eats your skimmer you will probably be in the market for a new one anyway....many many years. As for the fittings...I dont use jg fittings...(thankgod) they get eaten up like crazy. Like anything else in our reefs just keep an eye on them all. I administer it right through my venturi. You dont need much carbon on the output of the skimmer. Many people use ozone in reactors as well with good results. I am not against either one. For my needs using the skimmer as a reactor works. In addition, you dont need any additional pumps or equipment....and god knows we have enough lines in and out of our sump...lol....either way it works....period....

NYPDFrogman

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
35   0   0
Ozone definitly has it's usage
I did use it in the past with my lungs I choose not to
it's pretty nasty stuff in regards to long term exposure if not used properly and maintained

I really cant say that Ozone did a better job of raising my water quality as apposed to running carbon, GFO and a good skimmer

much debate over whether or not ozone improves skimming or not

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: