fungia

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
anyone using ozone or with experience? i got a free 50mg unit from a friend and i am thinking about using it but i am a little scared of ozone. what are the benfits, what are the dangers, how much do i dose in my 100 gallon?

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would never allow ozone in my house.

I did watch an ozone generator explode once. It wasn't pretty. Fortunately I was able to put out the fire.

What it does to your lungs isn't so easy to deal with.

When it hits water, it makes hydrogen peroxide, so if you really need to do this, why not just put hydrogen peroxide in your tank?

fungia

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks! if it's dangerous i wont use it. my tank is ok without it, i just got one for free this past weekend.

leftovers

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK Ozone is used safely in thousands of thousands of places and tanks with no issues what so ever and has been for 20+ years.

Ozone generators are very very safe and you are more like to be killed in a car accident 1000 times over than by one blowing up.

Ozone is usually used in skimmer and your skimmer topped with carbon will eliminate any remaining free radical O.

You use ozone with a redox probe. It kicks off when redox fall off whatever level its set to. The odds of significant peroxide forming is slim and the ozone generator will actually be used rarely after the first few weeks after redox level hits the mark.

Using ozone is no different than kalk, you are equally capable of destroying a tank with both.

Next time post some facts not fear, its more helpful.

Ben1

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just make sure if you use it with a skimmer that is made with materials that can withstand it. Ozone can turn plastic and rubber to trash very fast. Most skimmers will say if they are ozone safe or not. Definatly don't use it with out a controller though.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
leftovers":109sjbwy said:
Next time post some facts not fear, its more helpful.

I'll keep it in mind.

This reminds me of why I usually don't post "topside."

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
leftovers":2cak0y3e said:
Ozone generators are very very safe and you are more like to be killed in a car accident 1000 times over than by one blowing up.

Sounds like a Fjact to me.
:lol:

However, you are probably 100000 times more likely to own a car than an ozone generator.

Do you have any idea how they work?

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ooo.. this should be good. I've gotta admit, I love the smell of ozone. Smells like rain.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
seamaiden":32ny6o05 said:
Ooo.. this should be good. I've gotta admit, I love the smell of ozone. Smells like rain.

I thought it smelled of photocopiers. :?

Japanese people will tell you that the just after rain smell is thanks to negative ions. :wink:

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can ozone be harmful, sure.

With some simple, basic precautions you should be fine running it. However, if my skimmer was under my stand I prolly wouldn't run ozone.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: