Pazzoman

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
19   0   0
Does anyone know if any shops have paid quarantine services? By this I mean for people who are constantly busy with every day life or don't have the space for an extra quarantine tank if there is somewhere that will quarantine your fish for you while keeping you updated.Im sure big stores have huge quarantine systems and can easily section of certain areas for hobbits fish for a fee lol. I think the idea is cool, Id for sure be interested.

lnevo

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
106   0   0
Check out exotic reef creations. They were a vendor here a while ago not sure if they stayed. They are based in the DC area but they do real quarantines. They are active on WAMAS if they arent here anymore.

masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
448   2   0
The problem I see with that type of service is two-fold.

First, as you've already laid out, who's responsible for a death? Without any question it would be the customer. You're asking to QT a fish to ascertain that it is healthy and won't be a carrier of any parasites or diseases into your tank. Why? Because these things are an unknown to everyone. That's why you QT.

Second, and quite frankly more important. If you are putting a fish in QT, that fish, and any other fish added at the same time can be considered isolated. If another customer comes in a few days later and wants to QT their new purchase, if the store puts that fish into QT with your fish, the QT clock is reset to day zero.

Offering this kind of service with true individually isolated QT for every fish could potentially require a massive system. Huge expense. Your initial post had an 'lol' after the fee comment implying that you don't think that would be right. Just think of the potential cost for this type of service....floor space, tanks (multiple), heaters, lights, food, salt, RODI, labor to maintain, etc.

Aquadicted

Bill Goody Aquariums
Vendor
Rating - 96.4%
27   1   0
I would have to agree with masterswimmer, the cost of doing it properly would be too expensive. It would be too expensive and risky to operate from a business standpoint. Even though I quarantine all my fish for my clients there is still a risk. It can never be 100%. And it just doesn't make sense to provide a service you can't fully guarantee.

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Does anyone know if any shops have paid quarantine services? By this I mean for people who are constantly busy with every day life or don't have the space for an extra quarantine tank if there is somewhere that will quarantine your fish for you while keeping you updated.Im sure big stores have huge quarantine systems and can easily section of certain areas for hobbits fish for a fee lol. I think the idea is cool, Id for sure be interested.

I recently moved to Brooklyn from DC, and as was mentioned in this thread I heard very good things about Exotic Reef Creations. I also used services provided by another VA area store, Quantum Reefs.

How it worked: a dozen or so 10 gallon tanks in the back of the store were used exclusively for QT purposes. You would order a fish, or buy one they had in stock, and for an extra fee (something around 50% extra, IIRC) they would hold it in an isolated tank for three weeks (with a bit of live rock and a standard HOB filter). If the fish died during the QT, you could get another fish, perhaps at a discount, and could start the QT over without being recharged for the QT fee. I think this could vary a bit based on the type of fish, but you get the idea.

Obviously this system wouldn't scale if massive numbers of people wanted the store to QT their fish, but that never seemed to be an issue.

I'm also looking for a local(ish) store that could do a standard 3-week QT for me, and I've yet to find exactly that sort of thing. If anyone has since stumbled upon such a place since this thread was first started, definitely let me know!

lnevo

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
106   0   0
3 weeks is a waste. If thats the case its just peace of mind that the fish is going to drop dead overnight. If you are gonna skip qt to a service only doing 3 weeks you may as well go rogue and drop it in your tank.

jackson6745

SPS KILLER
Rating - 99%
201   2   0
Better off paying more money up front for a fish that is warranted for 2 week-1 month from various vendors....'Conditioned' fish

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: