Bob 1000

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
122   0   0
I tried some other brand of pellets just trying to switch it up for a week and my phosphates shot up to .12 after a week of use of the Hikari marine S pellets.. These things will be going in the garbage.. I will have to adjust my phosphate option on my denitrifier and add some granular ferric oxide for a couple days.. That should fix the problem.. This just a word to the wise.. Mind you I feed pellets heavy about 2 tablespoons a day..
I usually feed spectrum and will no longer stray from that food..

anthony27

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 96.7%
88   3   0
I rember when spectrum was the hot food on the market, is it true that it can enhance the color of the fish. I am feeding frozen food right now with specinurla in it. How is spectrum? I have not used that food in over 5 years this is why I am asking.

Bob 1000

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
122   0   0
I haven't seen any food that can enhance colors.. This Hikari stuff claims it makes fish grow faster also.. Spectrum has been good for me and the fish for the past 5+ years.. Frozen I feed once a week Biospure mysis soaked in fresh garlic in ro water..

Yeah I use the 1mm Spectrum pellets as well and they're great, my fish love them. My mix of food for my fish is all dry food and once in a while I mince some whole shrimp and they like it. I feed Ocean Nutrition Formula One, 1mm Spectrum Pellets and for some reason I bought TetraMarine Marine Granules and I'm trying to finish those but I don't think I'll buy them again

2slo4me

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
45   0   0
I noticed the same with the hikari s pellots... no bueno... mine went in the trash last week. i switched to my old pellots i forgot the name xtreme garlic marine ... i beleive. so far so good. lol

mr_X

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
why do you guys feed that lfs crap to your fish? feed fresh foods and nori. your fish will love you for it.

Bob 1000

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
122   0   0
why do you guys feed that lfs crap to your fish? feed fresh foods and nori. your fish will love you for it.

Every once and a while I'll feed the insides of the lobster when I eat lobster but minced freshh stuff put's more food in the water rather than the fish sometimes.. Giving you the illusion that you not loading you tank up with nitrates..

mr_X

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so, are you blaming the types of food for nitrates, or the fish for eating sloppily, or chopping it too small, or what?
freshly made food is alot better for your tank than pellets and flakes. it's a fact.

Bob 1000

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
122   0   0
Flakes have lots of phates I know but 5 years on spectrum ha sbeen good to my sps too finely chopped foods really feed sthe filter socks and those juices from the food as well.. As far as nitrates Haven't had them for a lot of years now..

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: