xavier

Xavi
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Hi buddies;
Just a comment on the Status of the Marine Fish at Petco.
The shop they have at UNion Square is a disaster. Please aboid buying anything there. We should stop this kind of business with no fish/coral care at all. Yesterday, they had more died fish than never (aquariums at the back)
:irked:

Chiefmcfuz

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
47   0   0
The managers hands are completely tied. Petco corporate tells them what they have to do and if they don't do it they get in trouble. Some petcos are good some aren't, just like some fish stores are good and some aren't. The best bet is to try to call petco corporate but good luck getting something accomplished that way. They are a large corp with many locations and one change can cost quite a bit of money.

marki24

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 99.1%
116   1   0
You can get bad or dead fish anywhere even in private stores (and you would be surprised, cause u would think that private stores would care better for their livestock) but unfortunately dat doesnt always apply. But u should be care with everything you buy; if it doesn't look good dont buy it.

tunicata

Tunicate Tamer
Rating - 100%
163   0   0
I used to work with one in NJ, we were pretty good in terms of fish mortality rates (in the SW section that is...). Unfortunately, in my store the only person 'allowed' to treat the fish or do systems duty was the managers. Very weird. I gave suggestions where I could i.e. how about we not use the faucet water, the tanks have bad cyano and green algae issues, or there are better ways to treat ich, or how about we quarantine the new arrivals before putting them in with the 'established' animals, and my favorite "I think the sump needs more water...I can HEAR the pump and it's also blowing bubbles into the tanks"

But alas, as Cheif said there are rules and regulations at the very minimal. I joined the team so I could work in the aquatics section and gain more exp. with fish/coral care, etc. I then left the job when I realized that I would get nothing positive from the job (other than discounts on pricey products...but if you can ever find healthy peppermint shrimp in stock, they are $6-8 bucks, without employee discount)

I must say though, where PETCO isn't great for its aquatic life...it really packs a punch for dog/cat information, products, vet care, etc.

-Ditto for Marki as well. I haven't found a good clean private petshop yet (that catered to many animal types). I've only found aquaria shops that were at least clean (though some would say its because of the lack of regular animals/ease of organization)

Last edited:

tunicata

Tunicate Tamer
Rating - 100%
163   0   0
Was in the Union Sq. area yesterday and managed to get my friends to let me visit.
It smelled fine, and the displays were clean. Unfortunately, there are 3 main SW tanks about 48" long, 12-15" high (I guess like a 33g long or such?) with 8 yellow tangs that were 4-6 inches long, 3 clown triggers, and 8-10 other fish including a reg puffer, dog face puffer, 2 baby hippos and powder blue tang.

And one near dying puffer.

No ich spotted yesterday in the SW, but 2 columns of FW fish full of it.

What hurts is that while I'm educating my friends about what's going on LOUDLY, the folks near/around me are still wooing over the fish and figuring out what to buy.

I made sure I added: Well, some people might say, let's pay and rescue them! But that only looks like Petco is doing a good job, getting in the right type of fish. So to them it's like MORE 6 Inchers!!! Don't worry about the high in-store mortality rates! Just teach the customers a 'ich-fixer upper' and they will be fine when they realize they have it (cause we dont show pics of the stuff, just hand you a 'bottle cure' and a recipe for death).

Sorry, a bit emo today, but you get my point

-edit, btw there was no coral in the overpacked fish tanks and they were near out of 8$ lb 'lr'

EmilyT

Don't diss softies!
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
i found a moorish idol in a petco once. its sad because nobody does saltwater in my town, all freshwater so i think they just keep the fish in the store until they die unless a FW person decides they want to put nemo in their goldfish bowl....

Chris5

Im BaAaAcK
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
You know its funny, we have a petco over here on central ave, it used to sell saltwater fish and I can remember it having morish idols, dogface puppers etc in there 5 gallon displays ... now presently they don't sell saltwater fish anymore, only the dry goods ...

Within a 1 mile radius of petco we also have a petsmart (also no saltwater fish) and a petgoods (the only place that sells both dry goods and fish but not the best selection - hit or miss really) ...

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: