gimincorp

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
Hi,
I'm in desperate need for HELP!
SITREP:
Until past (I left on Friday 7/10/09) weekend everything was fine!
When I came back MOnday Evening (7/13/09) my power head (PH) was spewing bubbles into display tank.
GOOFUP: I do not remember what I had adjusted, but it stopped for about a week.
This morning it was doing the same thing again.

Micro Bubbles CAUSE #1:
Even though intake chamber is full and overflowing normally, mid chamber is only half-way (or less) full. PH sucks out the water of the outburst chamber way faster than the water can rise to cover PH.

SETUP:
I have 14 Gallon Oceanic Biocube aquarium with original Powerhead, but NO flow control valve (lost it), though bio cubes sold today don't have them in the first place.
PH is suspended on the DIY (EHEIM 12/16 mm silicone tube) intake stem about 3" above tank bottom.

REMEDY (in vain)
Here is what I did trying to remediate the issue:
1. Cleared intakes (top & bottom) Now there is NOTHING obstructing them.
2. Removed protein skimmer from the intake chamber.
3. Discovered I left a sponge in the outburst chamber and removed it (suspecting it is a cause of my algae bloom).

IT DID NOT SOLVE the Micro-bubble problem.

Please help with suggestions.

At about 5:00 AM I STOPPED the PH, There is NO waTer FLOW in my tank.

Last edited:

gimincorp

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
The micro bubbles won't kill your tank but the lack of circluation will.

Can you raise water volume? or lower PH. that may help.

OK, I admit - I freaked out a bit, because I knew that lack of flow means pretty much death from previous experience.

So, in a desperate attempt to fix the micro-bubbles / water level issues I replaced to water "lift-up" stem with another piece of the same EHEIM tube, but about 3" longer. As a result my PH is now practically sitting on the outburst chamber's floor. This seems to have fixed the issue, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed.
PS. In a meanwhile I had removed about a ton of hairalgae by pinching it off my rocks... I seems that it had smothered two of my corals; ricordea and a mushroom, but we'll see when the water clears.

Guys thank you all for your help. I'll keep you posted on the situation.

Last edited:

gimincorp

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
Just in case someone else has this problem with their biocube tank!
I found the ultimate issue causing the powerhead to spew micro bubbles into the main compartment:
Low water level in the outburst chamber which in turn is caused by chaeto blocking the waterflow through the fuge shelf grid installed in the mid-chamber.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: