Croman

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was wondering is it really worth runnning a Phosban Reactor in my sump. What are the benefits? What should I use carbon or Rowaphos?

meschaefer

One to Ignore
Rating - 100%
30   0   0
I was wondering is it really worth running a Phosban Reactor in my sump. What are the benefits? What should I use carbon or Rowaphos?

I run a phosban reactor with GFO (Granulated Ferric Oxide). Phosban, Rowaphos, and Phosar are all band name GFOs. GFO is able to bind with phosphate and the phosphate is therefore "removed" from the system. There are differences between them and while Rowaphos has more binding capacity than Phosban it also cost proportionally more. I use Phosar (cost effective - especially in bulk). Phosphate is continually added to your system (primarily in food) and is one of the primary sources of nuisance Algae.

I also use carbon in a separate reactor. Carbon is a good all round media that is able to bind to a whole host of pollutants in your system (but not phosphate).

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: