• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

Tanu

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Brandon, thanx! Although the tank is about 160 G, it is only lit by one Aquaspacelight: 2 x 150 W Hqi ( ab 10.000 K ) and 2 x PC 24 W blue (osram).

I forgot: about 1 month ago I also installed a UV sterilizer, to lower the ammount of pathogens in the water. Combined with a little ozone, I try to help the immune system of the fishes, thus preventing diseases.

brandon4291

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive used UV on my planted tanks and enjoyed the results. Obviously it works well for your system, and btw the canopy on that black tank is NICE

Tanu

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You don't want a pic of the cabinet right now :D . I moved the inhabitants and parts of the equipment from my old tank to this one, but I didn't have time to make a neat install. I'll list the equipment:

• - Aquaspacelight: 2 x 150 W hqi 10.000 K and 2 x 24 W pc Osram blue
    - Tunze Turbelle 4000 L/h (on wave-maker, with photocell to reduce current at night)
    - Counter Current skimmer designed for tanks up to 400 G, driven by wooden airstone. Skimmer is connected to the overflow directly
    - Sander ozoniser (50 mg/h, set at 20 mg/h 24/7)
    - Continuous use of active carbon, phosphate remover and silicate remover
    - Grotech Trace-el-controller (3 channel dose pump) with trace elements: Grotech abc, 1 ml/day
    - Calcium-reactor (designed for tanks up to 400 G), dual stage.
    - Aqua Medic Ocean runner 3500 as return from sump
    - Aqua Medic mV controller (used to control redox, now used to monitor the orp only)
    - 11 W uv sterilizer (used 24/7) on 140 Gallon p. hour powerhead
    - 140 Gallon per hour powerhead used as some extra flow over the bottom of the tank behind the rockwork
    - filter floss in overflow, changed every 2/3 days
    - durso standpipe

Apart from this, I have auto-top-off unit, but I still have to connect it to the RO unit in the kitchen. So far, I top-off every 1-2 days with a bucket of RO water.

Salt used when setting up was
- Instant Ocean
- Reef Crystals
- Tropic Marin
- Some water from the old tank

I also dose a phytoplancton concentrate every two days, and I give about 4 drops lugol's every week.

So, nothing really special, but it works for me! Grotech recommends 1 ml of abc every 24 hours for each 100 L of water, so I should use 7 ml/day, but I found that the corals would turn brown if I use that much trace elements.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: